How to increase curb appeal?

(16 Posts)
NakedMum33and3rd Mon 05-Sep-16 16:50:22

Hello,

We have just bought this ex council property and want to increase its curb appeal. Not for resale, I just want to make it prettier.
We are getting rid of the rotten car porch and will paint all wood work and have a new driveway. Is there anything else we could do that doesn't involve building work. We have planning permission for a wrap around porch but we can't afford it right now.
Any ideas?

NakedMum33and3rd Mon 05-Sep-16 16:56:27

Obviously I mean kerb. hmm

yeOldeTrout Mon 05-Sep-16 17:26:30

Is that a big green stain on the brickwork between window & door?
Spruce up the law & add a flower basket, maybe?

GrubbyWindows Mon 05-Sep-16 17:31:08

Grow something pretty climbing between the door and the window, sort out the lawn, a few big pots or flower beds?

NakedMum33and3rd Mon 05-Sep-16 17:32:27

Yes big green stain. The front garden was completely over grown when we moved in so that is from then. I plan on added flowers etc but I'm just wondering if we could do anything else.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 05-Sep-16 17:33:35

It feels like there is a window missing , but obviously that's major building work which isn't what you wanted.

Get some nice colourful plants in the garden.

yeOldeTrout Mon 05-Sep-16 17:35:24

A honeysuckle or attractive rose in the green stain area?

NakedMum33and3rd Mon 05-Sep-16 17:38:52

Honeysucklejasmine that's how I feel too. We can't put a window in because of where the bathroom is inside. I almost want to put a fake window there but I have never heard of such a thing. It feels so bare that part of the house.

Kit30 Mon 05-Sep-16 17:50:51

Would a fake window work? I've seen one with mirrored glass mounted on wall with climbing plant to soften it

Kit30 Mon 05-Sep-16 17:56:30

Taken a closer look. It's sort of English vernacular/ arts and crafts so I'd pretty it up with cottagey front garden, low box hedge or similar to drive edge, and a painted bench below the window (behind the car), posh (good quality) trellis to either side of the bench. That way, you get some structure even in winter when things like clematis a bit dull. The garden trellis company (online) has lovely pics
Until you get your wraparound porch, bench is good for getting muddy boots off before you go inside

ApocalypseSlough Mon 05-Sep-16 17:57:30

Could you put a plaque or sundial there? It definitely needs something a climbing plant? American Ivy
Plaques

cosmicglittergirl Mon 05-Sep-16 17:58:01

A wisteria to cover the windowless bit. You can buy them already established for £50.

A paint job in the front door. A sage green or duck egg blue maybe. I can't see the style of it from the picture.

A bay tree in a pot by the door. Or a small olive tree.

Plantation shutters in the Windows.

Agree with the honeysuckle on the stain. And some lavender bushes underneath.

I don't think it looks too bad.

PepsiPenguin Mon 05-Sep-16 18:02:07

It really does look like a window is missing apart from that I don't think it's that bad.

I watched a C4 programme the other day ugly house to pretty house or something and they had a similar thing very strange. Please don't think I'm being rude it is genuinely the title and led me to search on Pintrest "ugly house makeover exterior"

You may find some inspiration but it is mostly building work if I remember correctly, but some have amazing transformations!!!

YelloDraw Mon 05-Sep-16 18:06:33

I don't think it looks bad.

A good clean and some nice planting would do it.

NakedMum33and3rd Mon 05-Sep-16 18:07:36

Thanks. No offence taken. It is an ugly house but it has great space inside that is why we bought it. I like the idea of the shutters and the bench too. Definitely going to invest in some climbers and trellis. I think it could be pretty it is just odd with the lack of window!

wowfudge Mon 05-Sep-16 18:31:01

I think the idea of something where the window looks as though it should be would be a really good idea and make it feel more balanced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now