Talk

Advanced search

I'm moving in just over a week - what must I not forget?!

(12 Posts)
Ewokewok Mon 05-Sep-16 03:54:11

I've done all the major change of address notifications (utilities, banks, TV licence, employers etc)

I'm booking removals today. We are having the house packed up for us.

I've booked pets into kennels for a couple of days during the move.

I'm going to pack a box of essentials for the first day/night (bedding, kettle, cleaning stuff etc)

Anything else I need to do?

Runningupthathill82 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:13:01

Buy a crate of beer or two as a tip for the removal guys.

Take photos of your meters when leaving the old house, and on arrival at the new one, and email them to yourself. That way you can't lose the readings.

Blinds. Have you got a Gro-blind or similar? Keep one handy for the kids' room, you don't want to be hanging curtains on your first night.

Put red wine (doesn't matter if it gets warm!) at an easy-to-locate position in the car, for the first night in your new place.

takesnoprisoners Mon 05-Sep-16 09:19:33

Mail forwarding at the post office, couple of torches with batteries, Local takeaway research for the first night at the new place. I could not have functioned without food and the curry really helped smile Good luck with the move.

Ewokewok Mon 05-Sep-16 10:46:38

LOL! Good alcohol-related tips!

I hadn't thought about the meters either. I'll put that on the list, thanks smile

Ackeeandsaltfish Mon 05-Sep-16 11:07:03

Leave spare keys behind in a safe place, or give to estate agent.

Cancel window cleaner/milk etc.

If feeling kindly towards the buyers (i.e. they haven't tried to gazunder etc) leave details of trusted window cleaner, plumber, electrician etc etc.

JT05 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:50:04

Locate the nearest fish and chip shop, for supper! grin

Squidgems Mon 05-Sep-16 21:09:25

1. Even though you have paid to have mail redirected stay on friendly terms with your buyer and go back to check if there's post for you. Happens more often than you realise.

2. Don't leave it for new owners/tenants to inform council they are new residents. Tell the council you are no longer there and get them to amend the electoral register.

As a result of not doing these two things I became the victim of identity theft which i didn't realise until the debt collectors started ringing me a couple of years later at my current address. It was a horrendous experience which took me years to get over.

If you've seen my post on another thread of my experiece when moving into my cuurent house you can see that the whole buying and moving process was a total nightmare.

Hopefully OP you won't have my extremely bad luck and everything will be plain sailing and you'll love your new home!

IntelligentPutty Tue 06-Sep-16 06:55:41

Put the essentials you need in the box in the car before the removals men arrive. In case they pick and pack it into their van by mistake! shock

LyraMortalia Tue 06-Sep-16 06:59:40

To send you log book to DVLA so they send you a tax reminder, I moved two years ago genuinely thought we'd done everything just got an £80 fine for unpaid car tax. Year one the reminder obviously got redirected sad

Ifailed Tue 06-Sep-16 07:02:27

Tell your MIL the new address. This is optional.

Ewokewok Tue 06-Sep-16 19:55:07

LOL! Thanks grin

specialsubject Wed 07-Sep-16 16:34:24

Insurance changeovers on houses. Car insurance change of address. Broadband/ phone .

Council for tax and electoral roll - remember to opt out of open register.

Fridge / freezer empty and dry night before - and they need to settle before switxhing on.

Find washing machine transit bars. Who fits them?

Leave instruction manuals of stuff remaining in house, and a sheet of stickers with your new forwarding address in case anything slips through the redirect. All other address changes can be done after you move - keep a list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now