Advanced search

Just discovered a massive leak......

(10 Posts)
BasinHaircut Sun 04-Sep-16 21:54:01

Basically the pipe that my washing machine discharges into has been broken for probably a couple of months (since the new kitchen went in) and been pouring water onto a brand new kitchen cupboard but also all down the back onto the floorboards and subfloor.

The kitchen was fitted by Wickes and so I've got them coming out tomorrow hopefully to take a look, and obviously the cupboard will need to be replaced as the carcass is knackered. But I'm just wondering what the likely damage is to the floor, as I don't want them to tell me 'oh that will be ok, it will dry out' if to possible that more cation needs to be taken.

The floor is waterproof boarded and then tiled on top, but only the visible bits and so I don't think that will go back far enough to be affected by the water as it stops just past the kick boards (I think). The bit that worries me is that the water has been pouring into where the joists go into the wall. I know it will dry out, but has this been going on long enough to have caused real damage to them? I'm hoping not because I don't want to have to rip it all out, but obviously if that does really need to be done then I want to make sure it is done now, and not years down the line when my guarantee on the workmanship has run out.

TIA for any advice.

Herschellmum Sun 04-Sep-16 23:06:38

I highly imagine they will say it was fine, but ally depends on the type of boards, we had a water leak, the insurance pulled up the laminate but despite obvious damage to the boards they said they were fine, a few weeks later I fell though the floor ... Now in my case it was exposed boards so I doubt there is any danger of that because your laminate will hold the structure too but you might want an independent builder to advise you before they come out. In my case the older boards were perfect but the more extensively renovated part had new boarding and it was useless when wet.

Good luck getting it sorted.

AnnieOnnieMouse Sun 04-Sep-16 23:31:54

Before anyone actually does anything, get in contact with your insurance company. It might end up being expensive, and you could invalidate the insurance by letting anyone do any actual work on it.

Muddle2000 Mon 05-Sep-16 00:03:58

Are you saying the damage occurred to the pipe when the new kitchen was
fitted? If so the kitchen fitters would be liable .
I mean if you claim on your insurance it could bump up your premium
We had this problem and our insurers made the fitters claim it on their

BasinHaircut Mon 05-Sep-16 06:13:43

Well I don't think I could say for sure muddle, but it didn't leak before the kitchen was done, but I've been getting a whiff of damp since it was done and so it has happened around the same time.

wowfudge Mon 05-Sep-16 07:08:35

Contact your insurers and they'll send someone to have a look. They may claim against Wickes, they may not. Do you have accidental damage cover? We had a problem where water entered our cellar from a cracked pipe and the insurance company got everything dried out and the damaged things replaced. It made a small difference to our premium the following year.

BasinHaircut Mon 05-Sep-16 07:50:32

Thanks all. I'm totally confused as to why I should contact my insurers if Wickes will sort it?

wowfudge Mon 05-Sep-16 07:54:44

Because my guess is that Wickes may try to get away with doing the bare minimum or deny it's anything to do with them and your insurers will make sure everything gets properly sorted.

BasinHaircut Mon 05-Sep-16 08:01:24

Ah ok. That makes sense thank you.

BasinHaircut Mon 05-Sep-16 08:41:50

Just spoke to insurance. They said to get Wickes out first and if I'm not satusfied with their plan to rectify then call back to log a claim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now