Advanced search

To anyone who has pulled out of a house sale

(25 Posts)
phoria Sat 03-Sep-16 18:02:09

Did you go on to find something better?

I'm thinking about it but just worried I won't find something better... sad

SpeckledyBanana Sat 03-Sep-16 18:03:01


phoria Sat 03-Sep-16 18:11:07

tell me more SpeckledyBanana!

Gardencentregroupie Sat 03-Sep-16 18:15:29

Yes. We were buying a new build, there had been some issues with the money through no fault of ours, and the developers were being arses. We told our solicitor to tell them to shove it (politely!) and tore up the contract. We were gutted; we loved the house and the area.

Four months later we were living a few streets away in a 10 year old house, only slightly smaller with a much bigger garden, that cost a stonking £75,000 less than the first house. I love my house! Fuck you tosser developers. They didn't shift that house for months and had to knock 10k off the price. Hahaha.

phoria Sat 03-Sep-16 18:17:40

Wow, that's an incredible saving. So glad it worked out for you, Gardencentregroupie.

SpeckledyBanana Sat 03-Sep-16 19:45:39

We found a house, offer accepted, survey showed up some issues - not dreadful, but would not have offered had we known. We withdrew, viewed some more houses and found somewhere in a nicer area, further away from the road and on a bigger plot. I felt very bad about doing it but I can't buy a house out of a desire not to disappoint a stranger and their Estate Agent.

pitterpatterrain Sat 03-Sep-16 19:54:02

Yes. The house we were planning on buying was a newer house on a busy road that needed some work as it had been a long-term rental. Had the survey done, cryptic damp problems that shouldn't have been there for something so new.

Bought a Victorian flat instead, and now we are in a Victorian house. Think it also took us a bit to figure out what was really key as it was our first ever buy.

Number4OnTheWay Sat 03-Sep-16 20:03:26

Yes we were planning on buying a house and had to be out of our rented house by x date. Sellers started dragging their feet and refused to arrange a time for the survey's to be done. They then weren't sure if they wanted to sell, apparently couldn't find anything they wanted to buy and refused to go into temporary accommodation so we could complete by x date.
We found a much bigger house in a nicer area for the same amount so pulled out. The sellers were apparently gutted hmm as we were the 3rd people to pull out on them (but we weren't told till we pulled out) can't think why!! We completed within 8 weeks. Our original sellers went on to mess 2 more people around before the estate agents actually dropped them!

phoria Sat 03-Sep-16 20:57:43

All happy endings. This is encouraging. smile

TimTamTerrier Sat 03-Sep-16 21:01:08

We did. We were buying a house near Kingston and the sellers were planning to move into rented accommodation, but then decided to buy somewhere and it all just took too long. So we sold our house and rented near Canary Wharf for a while as we had friends living in the area. We totally loved it and ended up buying a fabulous flat with a river view after six months of renting. We lived there for 10 years and I still miss it (we had to move country).

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 03-Sep-16 21:03:21

The person selling the house started to be a pain with appointments and decided that she wanted to up the price.

We found somewhere else with no chain.

Propertyquandry Sat 03-Sep-16 21:06:59

Phoria, what's worrying you? The price? The area? The house itself? I'm not selling, just nosy. smile

phoria Sat 03-Sep-16 21:11:23

Like the flat and the area but it's by a busy road so I'm worried about noise. Basically I'd like the same flat in the same area but further away from the road!

Don't know how realistic I'm being...

JaneAustinAllegro Sat 03-Sep-16 21:13:19

We decided to stay, but many of our reasons were justified as even with a price reduction, the house we pulled out of never sold and they took it off the market. Had we gone ahead, we'd be living with a massive mortgage on a house worth a good 15% -20% less than we'd paid, and with modernisation still to do. So relieved.

Propertyquandry Sat 03-Sep-16 21:18:37

I think that's a really sensible reason to pull out. If you're worried about the noise now, it will drive you insane when you're living with it 24/7.
However, it would really depend on 2 things. Firstly, could you afford the price hike that would come with being further away from the road? Secondly, how close to exchange are you? Will they have found somewhere else and spent a lot of money in surveys etc for their purchase. Because whilst I think your reasons are valid, I think it's really poor form to pull out at the last minute. If you're going to do it, do it now rather than think about it for another week.

HopeClearwater Sat 03-Sep-16 21:21:57

I was hoping this was going to be a thread to shame buyers who had pulled out a week before exchange and messed everyone around, having never intended to buy the property in the first place angry

phoria Sat 03-Sep-16 21:32:42

Propertyquandry - I think I could but I might be stretching myself a tiny bit. It's from a BTL investor but yes I realise this is a crappy thing to do to someone else. sad

SpeckledyBanana Sat 03-Sep-16 21:47:53

I lived near a busy road for 10 years. It didn't bother me too much but neither did it ever seem quieter as time passed, IYSWIM. It put potential buyers off when we came to sell (we sold to BTLers in the end who weren't going to live there).

Lesley1980 Sat 03-Sep-16 21:51:59

We put an offer in for a house & it was accepted with a move in date in 8 weeks time. The house was great & everything we needed but just didn't love it. Petty things annoyed me. Anyways the sellers solicitor was messing around & our move in day passed. Another date was set & again the solicitor wasn't returning calls. I happened to look online &
Saw a nice house in a great area & we loved it as soon as we walked in. Not as big, needed loads of work & in general not the best option considering I was 6 months pregnant but we wanted it. We dropped out of the first house & an offer was accepted on the second house. Best decision we made. You have to love your house.

However we had a new build 1st floor flat on a busy road with a bus stop outside & it wasn't noisy. The bedrooms were at the back so didn't hear anything at night & I guess during the day the TV blocked out the noise or we just got used to it.

May09Bump Sat 03-Sep-16 21:52:26

yes - just did it (wouldn't budge on found issues on an additional survey) - very close to exchange. Found a stunning house with no chain and just completed on it.

It is sound - but very dated, but I love every inch of it. All the family felt like it was home when we walked in.

I had the same worry - but thought it was so much money to put down on an uncertainty.

sentia Sat 03-Sep-16 21:53:12

Road noise and dirt is a really valid reason to pull out. I've lived on busy roads a couple of times and you can never have the windows open otherwise everything gets covered in a black greasy film, it's gross. Who knows what it did to my lungs 😕

AwayAwayAway Sat 03-Sep-16 21:56:37

We did. There was a legal issue which the owners didn't want responsibility over resolving. An ultimatum was issued and we didn't budge. We pulled and found something 100x better. I love our new place, would never switch.

Trust your gut.

NoBetterName Sat 03-Sep-16 21:57:16

We pulled out of a house sale after the conveyancing showed the extension hadn't been signed off by the council and the reason it hadn't been signed off was because of major deviation from the planning permission given (including changes to a structural wall). We pulled out and found a new build soon after that we loved. We're still in the new build now, 10 years later. No regrets.

Catgirl83 Sat 03-Sep-16 22:38:11

Absolutely. Pulled out after the conveyancing showed the deeds were inaccurate. Found a house that ticked all of our boxes that was suddenly heftily reduced for a quick sale. The house we had been going to buy was a 'best fit' within our budget at the time.

Nervybuyer2016 Sat 03-Sep-16 23:28:27

Yes. At the time I cried a lot and thought we'd never ever find something again. I also felt a lot of guilt toward the vendor. and she made sure to hurl abuse at me in the street a few weeks later but th relief the next morning. It was 1000% the right thing to do.

An agent we'd signed up to months prior who had put nothing at all forward for us called the next day and we went to view and fell head over heels in love. We complete this month <touch wood>

Couldn't believe it. Still can't. Reckon it must be next to a secret Brothel or something grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now