Talk

Advanced search

Previous insurance claim on house- would you reduce offer?

(4 Posts)
Swanny1979 Fri 02-Sep-16 22:49:11

So we had an offer accepted on a 1930s semi and had a homebuyers report done. While there, the surveyor was told by the owners that had in the past submitted an insurance enquiry with regards to cracks in the gable end wall, which had been rectified (pinned I think) and that the porch archway had also been pinned due to cracks.
Would you reduce your offer based on these unexpected findings? I feel that these issues would put off other potential buyers and i do feel it's not worth as much now- however there aren't really any costs involved I can use to justify a reduction,

Timeforabiscuit Fri 02-Sep-16 22:52:18

I would make sure there were receipts and guarantees on the work, but thank my stars someone else had done the graft!

wowfudge Fri 02-Sep-16 23:13:56

No because they have been fixed. You want proof and guarantees or an indemnity, if available.

southwest1 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:41:30

I wouldn't if there was paperwork and guarantees for the work.

I sold my house six months after the work to fix subsidence was finished. My buyers weren't concerned, and the estate agent said it wouldn't put people off. Where I lived subsidence was a common problem so loads of houses in the street had been underpinned. As a buyer it is better as the work was done, they didn't have to live in a hotel for three months, and it had a twenty five year guarantee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now