Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen cupboard door replacements

(6 Posts)
Ledkr Thu 01-Sep-16 18:03:49

Anyone done this? If so did you use a company or buy them yourself and fit them? Is it easy? How much was it roughly.
I have 4 double base units and roughly 4 wall units as well as two tall doors on a full
Length cupboard.
I've tried painting them but am disappointed with the result so gonna cut my losses and replace them.

PigletJohn Thu 01-Sep-16 19:23:21

yes, a couple of times.

in both cases it was due to cost. I bought overstock or end of stock from places that did clearance and seconds. I had to rummage a bit the second time to find an assortment of doors that I could use, and ended up with a few left over. Sometimes, e.g. in a tall unit, you have to make it up with a couple of doors and a dummy drawer to get the right height.

I don't know how you would go about finding such a dealer locally, but there are such companies advertising on fleabay.

You can also get doors on ebay or Freegle sometimes, but be very choosy to get excellent condition and nice quality so it is worth the effort. Solid timber doors are not as heavy as laminated chipboard. Don't get foil-wrapped which is rubbish. Get spares in case you find damage.

If you do this, measure the door sizes very carefully, and also the distance from the hinges to the top and bottom of the doors. If you get it right they are very easy to fit. It is possible to drill the cabs to suit the holes in a door, but it needs a little jig and very accurate measurement.

Muddle2000 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:24:08

There are stacks of companies offering this service but we found it pricey.
Get a couple in to see for sake of comparison.
Normal builders/kitchen firms are not keen to do it as not a big enough
job for them.
We measured the doors, checked the size/type of hinges and bought in
a DIY place Then got our handy man to fit them.

PigletJohn Thu 01-Sep-16 20:05:56

this is the sort of place I had in mind.

Buttonmoonb4tea Thu 01-Sep-16 23:23:01

I recently used this company, can thoroughly recommend www.kitchendoorworkshop.co.uk/?gclid=CNu9hfaZ784CFc2RGwod0YcEfw, they talked me through measuring and sent free sample swatches

PigletJohn Thu 01-Sep-16 23:36:56

thanks, button

I looked at a few of those, and they were vinyl-wrap mdf, which I am not keen on as it is prone to peel. It will (should) be inexpensive though.

Assuming you are not getting a solid or veneered door, the laminate finish is the most durable. You will see the difference if you get a sample. Because of the way they are made, they are pretty certain to be rectangular flat slabs. Get thicker edging finish if it is offered. A lot of them seem to be made in Egger material, which is handy, as the board quality and colour will be the same whichever supplier you use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now