Talk

Advanced search

Does this type of shelf exist?

(15 Posts)
ChipmunkSundays Thu 01-Sep-16 08:24:35

We have our overflow CDs standing in a row along the top of a dresser in our front room beside the CD player, but there are too many of them to fit. My idea was that they could stand in two layers, if I can find a shelf on legs to take an extra row of them. Thought perhaps that would be called a "floating shelf" but that turns out to refer to something else. All I can find through Googling is this type of thing, designed for the inside of kitchen cupboards: Kitchen cupboard add-a-shelf but obviously they aren´t suitable for display.

Can anyone recommend something similar, but that looks good? It´s a nice old-fashioned wooden dresser so would need to be a very plain, good quality shelf and not IKEA-type plastic or chipboard etc. Or is it going to look crap? confused We don´t have room for any more actual CD racks!

Hufflepuffin Thu 01-Sep-16 09:16:24

This looks good (but pricey!) www.teebooks.co.uk/cd-shelving/9-cd-wall-shelf-uscd-45-cm.html?gclid=CJy-1uvc7c4CFYoW0wod7vgF6g

I found some likely options googling "cd cube shelf".

InTheDarkestHour Thu 01-Sep-16 09:25:44

I needed the same for my table recently, couldn't find anything on the internet so I bought a plank of wood from B&Q that matched the style and screwed a round silver door handle into each corner. It looks like it's meant to be with the table and gives me the extra height and shelf space. Door handles come in so many shapes/colours it was fun to chose which style I wanted! (Sad I know)

ChipmunkSundays Thu 01-Sep-16 11:44:40

Unfortunately we can´t use a wall shelf like the one you´ve linked to, Hufflepuffin, because it has to sit between the top of the lower bit of the dresser and the cupboard bit which extends above, iyswim - i.e. it has to sit on top of the dresser, there´s no actual wall behind to screw it into. No free wall space anywhere else either.

That´s a good idea, DarkestHour. My DIY skills are crap, though, and I couldn´t use door handles as they wouldn´t give the shelf enough height to sit above a row of CDs underneath. Food for thought, though.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Thu 01-Sep-16 12:46:06

This guy does do floating shelves which would fit your purpose

They are simple, traditional and very good quality. We were really happy. The fixings are very simple but really drilled into the shelf so it can take a lot of weight.

He sells through Etsy

newforestwoodcrafts.com

ChipmunkSundays Thu 01-Sep-16 13:03:53

They are gorgeous! None on legs, though - I can only see ones that have to be drilled into a wall. sad

LMGTFY Thu 01-Sep-16 13:10:07

Best thing we ever did was take all our cds/dvds out of their boxes and put them in a cd wallet, freed up drawers/shelves/cupboards of hundreds and hundreds of cases and the disks are easy to access! May not be for everyone but works fantastic in our house!

SoupDragon Thu 01-Sep-16 13:37:00

Can you get something like this and put it lengthways along the top of the dresser?

TBH, The best solution is to make it yourself with a long shelf and 3 blocks of wood as supports (one at each end and one in the middle)

mrsmortis Thu 01-Sep-16 14:57:30

They aren't pretty but lakeland has some shelves designed to go in kitchen cabinets to let you stack 2 lots of tins. Would something like that work?

Hufflepuffin Thu 01-Sep-16 15:00:08

How about these? Not very attractive unfortunately...
www.cubit-shop.com/en-uk/shelf/shelf-modules/cd-shelves/

Sgtmajormummy Thu 01-Sep-16 15:10:33

Well, if the shelf is not visible from the sides you could always just make a step out of cardboard.
I sellotaped cereal boxes shut, cut them from top to bottom, then slid the two sides together for strength. That raised the back set of CDs about 6cm, enough to be able to read the titles. Our CDs are in an IKEA Kallax unit, so really deep shelves.
I went on the reasoning that CDs are rapidly going out of fashion so we may not even want to keep them on display forever. I'm also a cheapskate Blue Peter fan!

DustOffYourHighestHopes Thu 01-Sep-16 15:38:38

You ask the owner (a carpenter) what options there are?

DustOffYourHighestHopes Thu 01-Sep-16 15:38:46

You CAN (typo!)

ChipmunkSundays Thu 01-Sep-16 19:06:16

Thanks for all the ideas! We have actually got rid of lots of our CD boxes but really regret it, so want to keep the ones we have left. I can´t see us ever switching to digital downloads TBH, though we do use Spotify. But I love my CDs!

Laying a small CD rack sideways is a possibility, if there´s enough height for it - will have to check. Thanks, SoupDragon. I might also send an enquiry to that Etsy carpenter, just in case he does custom orders. They are really lovely, and I like the simplicity.

MrsMortis the Lakeland shelves were the ones I linked to in my OP - they gave me the original idea! But I can only find ones designed to be hidden away inside kitchen cupboards, otherwise they would be perfect.

LMGTFY Thu 01-Sep-16 22:09:40

chipmunk the boxes are all in the loft, it's my happy medium between hoarding and having space!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now