Talk

Advanced search

How much would you say is needed for a kitchen overhaul?

(6 Posts)
Puzzledconfusedandbewildered Wed 31-Aug-16 18:01:20

Small kitchen which hasn't been updated in over 20 years so needs a complete gut and rebuild. Am I being optimistic with £5-6k?

leccybill Wed 31-Aug-16 18:06:14

I want to know this too. We have a smallish galley (both sides) kitchen.

Or, don't know whether to go all out and knock through into dining room or c) move house.

chipmonkey Wed 31-Aug-16 18:28:12

I'm in Ireland and my SIL did a lovely kitchen makeover for €7500 including granite worktops. Medium sized kitchen around 13ft squared. She did pay extra for a replacement oven and an American style fridge. But she got the fridge in a sale

chipmonkey Wed 31-Aug-16 18:30:16

Meant to say that that was before Brexit and the decrease in the pound so your £5000- £6000 budget should get you something decent.

ChablisTyrant Wed 31-Aug-16 19:22:29

We did for less than this in a house we sold for almost a million. The trick is IKEA units, then buy your granite worktop and expensive sink/taps elsewhere. Also source your appliances elsewhere.

Muddle2000 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:49:34

Agree with above. BTW Ikea has some different size cabinets from usual
and be prepared to spend the best part of a day there when ordering as they get quite busy.
Electrics cost a lot. So no plinth lighting or underfloor heating. It is likely
after 20 years that the electrician will insist on updating your circuit board if you go for a new electric oven in order to meet current regs. £500/£600.
There may be a way round it with a lower amp freestanding cooker.
Cheapest time to buy new appliances is the January sales

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now