DIY coving?

(5 Posts)
lndngg Tue 30-Aug-16 11:46:43

I'm looking to install coving in our bedroom. Does anyone have experience of doing this as a DIY? I spoke to a local handyman, who we usually use, and he said it would take 2 - 3 days with two people and tbh I'm not sure it would be worth us spending that on labour.

I was considering this from homebase, but am just a little concerned as we have window frames in the way so would need to do additional cutting for those.

www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/arthouse-quality-polystyrene-coving---amalfi---4-pack-717447

HollyMaingate Wed 31-Aug-16 11:02:26

I've used this stuff in my previous house, it actually looked really good when it was up and painted (multiple coats) despite being a bit of a crap product and not 'proper' coving. It's polystyrene so cuts and shapes easily with a stanley knife, use a mitre block and fine tooth saw for the mitres or even better there's something called a magic mitre specifically for coving.

2-3 days is insane for one room unless it's the size of a warehouse, I'd confidently do it myself as an amateur in a day. It only took a day for two of us the last time I did this on a big room with the big heavy plaster stuff in our new house! What else is he overcharging for!?

The hardest part is the mitres - ours was a small Victorian cottage so no square walls at all, best tip is to get a line level on the WALL around the room and work off that. For the polystyrene stuff I just bought the premixed coving adhesive which worked fine, it can also be used to fill the gaps, when fitting the plaster coving I used bonding plaster which is cheap and I'm sure would be fine for polystyrene too if you don't mind mixing it up yourself.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Wed 31-Aug-16 11:12:20

I've used the polystyrene coving before. Like Holly says the mitres are the tricky bits with coving, but polystyrene can be trimmed ok. I thought it looked absolutely fine when it was up.

lndngg Wed 31-Aug-16 11:17:58

Thanks for the replies! My only concern is that I have a window frame which goes almost all the way up to the ceiling - what would I do about that?

whatsthecomingoverthehill Wed 31-Aug-16 11:29:15

Difficult to say without seeing it, but could you do a stop end like at the bottom of this article?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now