Twin pump changeover unit?

(14 Posts)
Waitrosesaysimessential Sun 28-Aug-16 15:02:24

Does anyone have one of these? We have one in a cupboard in the utility room. Never paid it any attention, after buying the house last year. Yesterday noticed it has a huge amber light over it flashing. Due to it being in a cupboard, I only noticed the flashing after going into the room at night when the light was off. So goodness knows how long it has been flashing for.
Anyhow i have turned it off, but have no idea what to do now. I assumed it might be for the pressure of the upstairs showers etc. But they are working fine. So maybe it is for water waste? Our drainpipes go straight into the ground.
Previous owners won't help unfortunately.
Any ideas would be great thanks

PigletJohn Sun 28-Aug-16 15:04:57

photos please

Waitrosesaysimessential Sun 28-Aug-16 15:17:19

Here you are. Thanks

PigletJohn Sun 28-Aug-16 17:17:21

and of the pumps and pipes please

Waitrosesaysimessential Sun 28-Aug-16 17:38:02

Just discovered it is linked to pumps for waste system. But they are in a unit in garden...seems it's linked to the height of area according to old owner who just got back to me.
Will post pic but pipes etc must be underground.
Do you think it might be a blockage or something?

Waitrosesaysimessential Sun 28-Aug-16 17:44:27

Here are two pics. Name on top is Titan which is same as the unit inside. Many thanks

PigletJohn Sun 28-Aug-16 17:51:30

I think that one of the pumps has stopped working. It looks like it is so important to have a working pump, that two have been fitted, and if one fails, the other automatically starts up.

In this case I would have left the power on, assuming that the standby pump will be working until you can get the first pump replaced.

It may well be that your drains run to a holding pit which is then pumped out to a sewer or septic tank. I will guess that if you have turned off the pumps this tank will fill up and overflow. I'd stop using baths and washing machines, and flush the loo as little as possible until you know the system is working correctly.

Pity this has happened on a bank holiday weekend.

You need to find a plumber who is familiar with this system. There may be a label stuck on the control panel of the company who installed or last serviced it.

If the pit starts to overflow, you may need to call in a company that pumps out septic tanks. A local co would probably also know who can deal with your pumps.

PigletJohn Sun 28-Aug-16 17:53:21

p.s.

If you have a basement with any plumbing in it, watch carefully in case sewage starts to rise up the drains.

PigletJohn Sun 28-Aug-16 17:59:12

"Titan" appears to be a company in the Septic tank business.

If you are in a rural area there will be companies who are familiar with them. You probably already have a company that pumps it out when necessary.

BTW the ground by your drain cover appears to have subsided. this is often a sign that water is leaking and washing away the ground.

Waitrosesaysimessential Sun 28-Aug-16 18:07:42

Thank you very much for all of that information! Much appreciated

PigletJohn Sun 28-Aug-16 18:22:08

if you haven't already got them (look in the shed) get some handles for lifting the cover so you can see if anything's wrong.

You can use the large heavy-duty ones when standing (I have small ones in a toolbox).

Hang them on tool hooks where you can grab them quickly night and day. If you ever need them, it may be in a hurry.

SmokingGun Sun 28-Aug-16 19:06:56

Titan make sewage treatment plants, the pumps are likely to be feed pumps or discharge pumps. Can you take the cover off of the panel? It should make to lights for each pump run and trip. If it's the run light that is lit up then it just means the pump is in operation, if it's the trip light the pump has either tripped, blocked or failed.

SmokingGun Sun 28-Aug-16 19:08:19

That should have said the panel will show 2 lights for each pump and that Titan also make treatment plants as well as septic tanks.

Waitrosesaysimessential Mon 29-Aug-16 19:57:36

Thanks very much for all your help. Turned out to be a very simple electrical issue. Nothing wrong with pumps. But at least now I know what they do. Cheers again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now