Talk

Advanced search

Secondary glazing or new windows/ double glazing

(5 Posts)
heslimedme Sun 28-Aug-16 14:27:54

Just wondering whether its worth putting in secondary glazing or if this would potentially put people off when it comes to selling.

We're in a top floor flat so kitchen and hallway windows are velux so would only have 2 bedrooms and living room windows to do (bathroom setup is weird so need to give this more thought). But the windows in the downstairs bedroom have coloured panes at the top so are actually quite distinctive which we'd lose if replaced.

Is it worth secondary glazing though or should we just save up and install double glazing. I just want to be warm for winter.

Sprig1 Sun 28-Aug-16 14:30:02

You will be warmer with secondary glazing than with double glazing. It may put a few people off when you sell but I imagine that the cost of installing new double glazed windows will not be recouped on sale so you may as well do what is best for you. Seeing as you have attractive (I assume?) coloured glass then many people may in fact prefer that it is retained.

heslimedme Sun 28-Aug-16 14:38:43

Secondary glazing is better for noise reduction too - the people on my street are very tooting their horn happy unfortunately.

Would double glazing not increase the value of the flat??? The windows are in a pretty bad state currently. We've bought a do-upper. Surely it would add value?

I actually quite like secondary glazing, done well it looks ok.

Sprig1 Sun 28-Aug-16 15:06:08

Well if the current windows are in very poor condition then yes, they probably would. I was assuming that your current windows were fine, just single glazed.

OliviaBenson Mon 29-Aug-16 07:46:47

As a flat you might need planning permission to change the windows- worth checking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now