Advanced search

Calling for help refurbish / refit a central London flat

(10 Posts)
bonechina05 Sun 28-Aug-16 00:19:45

We are desperately looking for someone who can help us completely refurbish / refit our small flat in central London (re-wiring, kitchen, new shower room, new flooring, decorating throughout, etc..).

The project is not about knocking down/through walls, conversions, extensions etc.. rather it is to do with working from scratch within the confines of the existing walls of each room to optimise the use of space / functionality / flexibility with aesthetic touch.

We tried to get start the project ourselves with ad hoc advise here, there and everywhere, but find it impossible to even know where and how to start. So we have now decided to hire a professional to work with us, help put together a well thought of detailed plan / design and to implement the ideas as effectively as possible.

I would be most grateful if someone can tell us which type of professional (architect, interior designer, builders etc..) would be most appropriate for what we need and/or kindly recommend one accordingly please.

Thank you all very much!

AnotherDayInParadiseLost Sun 28-Aug-16 00:21:39

Chartered surveyor?

GinAndTunic Mon 29-Aug-16 15:48:25

Interior designer, I think.

oldestmumaintheworld Mon 29-Aug-16 15:54:25

I would call Pimlico Plumbers. They are more than just plumbers and would handle all this work. They are expensive, but brilliant.

Waltons Mon 29-Aug-16 16:22:01

Interior designer, who will come up with plans/designs for you to approve and would then get quotes from trusted builders and oversee the project for you. It will not be cheap though, especially in London.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 29-Aug-16 16:51:45

Sounds like a job for a freelance concept planner ?!
What's your timescale ?!
As if you want someone immediately you are probably out of luck as the good ones are all booked up 4-6 weeks ahead ( like I am )

SarahSea1 Mon 29-Aug-16 17:10:56

Have a look at BTL Boutique - they're part of a much larger construction company and specialise in small design jobs.

bonechina05 Fri 02-Sep-16 23:28:18

Thank you all for taking the time to respond

@AnotherDayInParadiseLost: never thought of chartered surveyor, so an added possibility. thank you.
@ oldestmumaintheworld: I am surprised at your suggestion of Pimlico Plumber but I do need to have the plumbing and drainage checked out, so I will contact them and see what they have to say. Have you used them before? I remember having read some very negative comments on them, so I would be most interested if you could elaborate a little and explain why you consider them brilliant. thanks.
@OnePlanOnHouzz: As mentioned in my original post, we have faffed around for sometime so we have set our mind to get it done as soon as humanely possible, aiming to complete before end of November this year. It is very sad to hear that you have such a long lead time; I have read many good reviews about your work and wondered whether you could help me as I thought you are a kitchen specialist. Any chance for me to step in when cancellation comes up?

Scribblegirl Fri 02-Sep-16 23:31:51

Can't give you names or job titles, but has been invaluable for us (doing a similar project on a gorgeous but unloved period flat in SE London). It helped us find a gem of a builder who has gone well beyond the usual refurb builder spec (advising us on the best way to maximise light, offering to recess ugly pipe work which we didn't think could be done, for example). Good luck!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 03-Sep-16 06:19:10

Hi Bonechina05
Thanks for the PM.
I do have a list of people who want to 'step in' to any cancellations or postponed jobs and have now added you to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now