Which house would you go for?

(20 Posts)
Dumbled Sat 27-Aug-16 09:46:56

So interested in two houses, both different so can't decide....

House A
- Good size, modern, needs no work or maintence. A little bland in places , but we can redecorate, but has a nice homely feel. We would need add a garden office though

- Access to good primary schools, though some concern over secondary

- Quiet road set in country village , can walk to shop & playground

- very nice town 5 minutes away

- not very far we're we live now so know the area- near friends & family.

- much cheaper, very affordable

House B
- lovely character property, lots of lovely features, nice homely feel. Fireplaces etc

- much bigger inside, no extensions required ever

- needs total rewiring. Otherwise good condition bit outdated so
Needs cosmetic decorating throughout

- very, very good secondary options , bus stop just opposite house for secondary school. primaries look good

- house is on busy A road - noise inside wasn't horrendous but there is no pedestrian crossing so I would never let dc cross road alone for bus stop

- backs straight onto lovely country lane, pub & tea room walkable. No shops though would have to drive

- would cost about £50k more which worries me

- about hour away - don't know anyone or area too well, but could be fresh start?

SoupDragon Sat 27-Aug-16 09:49:52

Probably B because of the secondary schools. Although I personally dislike modern houses, I've tried to discount that in my choice!

Although I think I might look for option C if I was not desperate as neither seems what you are looking for.

sentia Sat 27-Aug-16 09:53:53

I could never live on a busy road, I've done it before and I hated it. So house A, recognising that it's probably not a forever house given the school situation. Also an extension or garden office will add value.

LumpyMcBentface Sat 27-Aug-16 09:56:59

I'd keep looking, personally.

Drquin Sat 27-Aug-16 10:02:07

Sounds like neither is working for you.

Other than that, my primary concern would be the cost of B. Whatever your design preferences, if one is too expensive, that's a major issue.
The schooling, and ability to extend ...... How long-term a house is this? If it's not a long-term move, then maybe they aren't major issues?

Dumbled Sat 27-Aug-16 10:19:39

The thing is, although I think our budget is heathy it still , for the area doesn't get you much choice -even a big radius.We also defiantly want to live in a countryside village so even less choice.
It's probably the most ridiculous time to move as we need apply for secondary by October and dc is starting school next month so need decide on something soon for school application.

dudsville Sat 27-Aug-16 10:22:39

I would have said not a lot between them until I read the second house is on a busy road. When I was house buying I would stop the EA at the car and tell him/her to move on to the next one as I wouldn't even consider it. I'm not far off a busy road but there are a lot of houses and a windy road between me and the busy road so I don't hear any traffic.

RaisingSteam Sat 27-Aug-16 10:25:40

It's a dilemma but I think now I'd go for A, much as I love period houses there are too many disadvantages with B.

We have a lovely period house on a B road in a village. Unfortunately the road did for two of our cats, we are sick of driving to the shop, there is a 40 minute bus to school. The grass is always greener on the other side but everyday life is about school, commuting, friends, playing out - not just how lovely are your fireplaces.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 27-Aug-16 10:28:13

As soup said I think you need option c.

Neither sound great.

SoupDragon Sat 27-Aug-16 11:02:52

I would choose good secondary schools over primary as I think it would be easier to overcome the shortfalls of an average/poor primary than it would be with secondary.

I not sure you are going to get a move over and done with by the deadline for secondary applications though

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 27-Aug-16 11:06:53

B. The road might be an issue but you will have your forever house! !!

SwedishEdith Sat 27-Aug-16 11:28:34

Would hate to be reliant on a car for shopping. House C.

roseteapot101 Sat 27-Aug-16 11:42:10

i would check both on crime map to see what crime is like it shows you how much crime occurred in that area over a month so you get a feel.

but be certain its what you want personally i would keep looking you may find something much better

Dumbled Sat 27-Aug-16 12:00:38

Gah!
Head spinning... I do like both houses, probably made them
Sound worse than they are!
I don't think I should link in here as would out me and probably not fair on the owners, but if anyone is willing for me to pm the two houses for a more specific opinion let me know...

Inthepalemoonlight Sat 27-Aug-16 17:23:55

House A. It's in your area, near your friends, cheap, modern, needs no work, near good primaries, sounds perfect for now and I'd always be prepared to travel a bit further for a good secondary.

RingUpRingRingDown Sun 28-Aug-16 09:37:24

B because of the secondary schools or keep looking. The busy road would concern me though.

0hCrepe Sun 28-Aug-16 09:39:52

Rent for a bit in the school catchment and keep looking. Gives you chance to get to know the place.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 28-Aug-16 09:40:15

I could never live on a busy A road.

I live on a village high St and that is bad enough. You notice the noise when you're watching TV or its a hot summer night and the bedroom windows are open.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 28-Aug-16 09:41:00

Oooh, PM me the house links! I love house browsing!

EllyMayClampett Sun 28-Aug-16 09:52:03

the busy road would put me off, but having a good secondary is really important. More important than good primaries in my opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now