We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Packers won't bring stuff down from loft?

(15 Posts)
EasternFall Wed 24-Aug-16 18:54:25

We're all set to use a removal company, but now they say we have to bring everything down from the loft to be packed up, they won't go up.. Is this normal?

I thought the ppoint of paying for packing was that you didn't have to lift a finger?

ShatnersBassoon Wed 24-Aug-16 18:57:05

What sort of stairs do you have up to the loft? If it's a standard extending loft ladder, it's probably not insurable for them to go up and down it.

ThornyBird Wed 24-Aug-16 18:59:07

Ours wouldn't empty the loft both times we had packing and removals.

The last time we had it all stacked up in the corner of the lounge for about a week after using it as an opputunity to have a good clear out!

Lovelongweekends Wed 24-Aug-16 19:01:19

Ours wouldn't go into the loft unless it was properly converted with stairs and floorboards etc. It was stated in their terms and due to insurance.

NotCitrus Wed 24-Aug-16 19:01:23

Find another company. Ours emptied the loft but it cost as much again as the rest of the flat.

PurpleDaisies Wed 24-Aug-16 19:02:27

We have to empty our own loft too. I'm sure it's a common policy.

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 24-Aug-16 19:05:24

Ours emptied our loft (boarded with a standard drop-down extendable loft ladder), for a very reasonable additional sum, particular considering you couldn't stand up in there and it was an absolute junk tip!

KayJBee Wed 24-Aug-16 19:05:50

Ours wouldn't go in the loft or the garage. As long as we got the stuff out and left it in another room or in the garden it was fine. Still worth their weight in gold

wowfudge Wed 24-Aug-16 19:35:49

It's normal if there aren't stairs up to the loft.

PigletJohn Wed 24-Aug-16 22:26:16

I think you are going to have to go up there yourselves, load everything into bags, and lower (or drop) it down. Transparent recycling bags are better than black, as you can easily see what's inside.

Chances are you will discover it mostly belongs in the skip anyway, so the sooner you sort through it the better. It may be very dusty up there, and hot when the sun is out, so invest in some disposable masks from the DIY shed. Get the ones with plastic valves on the snout. You will be dripping with sweat and covered in dust when you come out.

MummaGiles Wed 24-Aug-16 22:29:27

Not one of the three removal/packing services I got quotes from would pack from the loft - we had to empty it first.

TiggeryBear Wed 24-Aug-16 22:37:55

I work for a large removal company & as part of the standard Ts&Cs we aren't allowed to remove goods to or from a loft / attic (whatever you want to call it) unless it is boarded with a fixed access. It's to do with the insurance. HTH.

southwest1 Thu 25-Aug-16 10:54:06

The company I used wouldn't go into the loft either. I got most of the stuff down by standing at the top of the ladder and dropping it, the walls got a bit marked though. Most of what was in the attic went to the charity shop or the tip, very little actually moved with me.

HoneyDragon Thu 25-Aug-16 10:57:55

Standard ime. Those that do charge almost as much as the rest of the house.

I found it theraputic doing the loft. It nearly all went to the tip. Then the packers came and did the rest smile

PlotterOfPlots Thu 25-Aug-16 21:50:15

We only had one quote that would include it. We went with them and they took too long to load on the day, so we weren't out by 12. It was boarded and we had a decent pull-down ladder system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now