Talk

Advanced search

how high a fence can I add?

(7 Posts)
user1467297746 Wed 24-Aug-16 13:14:30

Just had a look on the planning portal and it says can hve up to 2 meter high fence if not on a road?

Anyways we looked at property yesterday - been up for almost a year! I think the reason is probably the neighbour next door!

Massive hoarder - front room is piled up with godknows what junk and no curtains. Their lawn is adjacent to "our" drive, so as you walk up the drive you are greeted with a "junk shop" thru their very large window which overlooks their front lawn.

Can we put a fence up between our properties? There is I guess a 2 meter high hedge at the front of both detached houses, but currently no fence dividing them..

I think if we could put a fence perhaps 1.5 meters high we could block this eyesore?

wowfudge Wed 24-Aug-16 14:25:45

Yes, from a planning point of view providing there is a pavement in front of the front gardens, otherwise a 2m fence would obstruct a driver's view of the road and the view of traffic on the road of a car coming out of a drive. You can have the fence stepped down so it is lower closer to the road.

Bear in mind that unless you agree with the neighbour to mark the boundary between the gardens with a fence, you will need the fence to be entirely on your side of the boundary. There may be a restrictive covenant preventing a fence from being put up.

ShortLass Wed 24-Aug-16 19:56:45

Just double check the deeds of your house. I was surprised to find on mine that it states the front garden must be left open (no fences). Must have been a condition of planning, as it's a little circular cul-de-sac. I suspect (but don't know) that such a clause is very rare.

user1467297746 Wed 24-Aug-16 20:38:33

Went back to view this place on the inside today and the crazy hoarder came out,,

there is a grass verge wide enough to fit our car on and space to walk by. and a 2 or 3 meter high hedge.

we parked on the grass verge becos the twins were sleeping and it was in the shade - such a super hot day today!

We had apologised for inconveniencing her - didnt think any one was in - and tbh it was a public street not her property.

She was super frosty. I asked her about the place if it had been vacant and she said 'no comment' and walked off.

Dont think a 2 meter high fence would be an issue - since it couldnt be seen from the road.

Could we do that in the back garden too?

Not sure I'm ready to move in next to such a crazy tho!

lifeisaconundrumattimes Wed 24-Aug-16 20:42:52

I have to say, my issue would be her rather than the eyesore of all the hoarding!! In theory a fence would be fine, but if she takes this as ab insult it could make things very difficult? I understand hoarders aren't all crazy but if you met her and got bad vibes... Then... Well that says it all to me!

I'd be really wary... Lots of potential issues with rubbish/vermin/smells etc.

sentia Wed 24-Aug-16 21:43:24

Even if there is a covenant about fencing it may be so old as to be irrelevant. We have a covenant from the 1930s about the type and height of fencing allowed and everyone on the street blithely ignores it.

hooliodancer Thu 25-Aug-16 17:03:51

Yes you can put high fences up both front and back. Have a look on the land registry guide to fences. As someone else said, you might have to put it wholly on your side of the boundary, but that is only losing a few inches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now