bathroom tiles or wet wall?

(14 Posts)
Linnet Mon 22-Aug-16 21:53:05

We're getting our bathroom done up. In our bathroom at the moment we have tiles. Nowadays you can get wet wall to put around the shower/bath etc.

Does anyone have wet wall, would you recommend it? Or are tiles better/nicer?

Heratnumber7 Mon 22-Aug-16 21:55:43

What's a wet wall?

Linnet Mon 22-Aug-16 21:58:46

wet wall is like a big sheet of tile, but it's not tile it's waterproof plastic I think?

www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/bathroom-accessories/bathroom-wall-panels/shower-panels?gclid=CNLa2db01c4CFcQV0wodF6APrQ

iamtheurbanspacemanbaby Mon 22-Aug-16 22:01:40

Tiles are way moves and I can't get the aqua panel in my shower clean properly. I hate it!

iamtheurbanspacemanbaby Mon 22-Aug-16 22:02:03

Nicer not moves! Silly autocorrect.

SwedishEdith Mon 22-Aug-16 22:18:06

Tiles. I can see the appeal of the other stuff but it doesn't look nice.

darreldixonishot Mon 22-Aug-16 22:37:57

Now I have wet walls and love them! Quick wipe down with a squeegie day to day, then a good clean at the weekend! They look great!

Heratnumber7 Tue 23-Aug-16 22:41:51

I like the sound of wet walls, even though we've just tiled our bathroom. The colours in the link are pretty boring though.

Cookingongas Tue 23-Aug-16 22:45:41

Wet walls will be cheaper to install, easier to clean, and easier to replace if you change your mind.

I prefer tiles though. I started fitting wet walks and mermaid boards in hotels years ago because there is t grout to go black and the ease as stated above. Despite them coming much further in design than then- I still see them as a cheap hospitality choice.

BackforGood Tue 23-Aug-16 22:52:39

The panels are FAR better IMO
No grout to keep clean between/around the tiles.
We've had them in our shower room for about 10 years now and SO much easier to keep looking good, so have had them in our main bathroom now as we refurbished that, this year.
Also much easier / quicker to fit than tiles.

PlotterOfPlots Tue 23-Aug-16 23:04:55

DH and I were just talking about how nice it would be to get rid of the tiles - I've wasted enough of my life fighting grout mould and mildew. But I agree with Herat, I'm not loving the choices in that link. I'm not keen on the fake stone options. Glass ones look nice but I'd imagine would be expensive and difficult to fit - I can't see our walls being flat enough.
www.opticolour.co.uk/bathrooms_with_opticolour_coloured_glass_splashbacks_or_walls_installed.html

YouMakeMyDreams Tue 23-Aug-16 23:17:46

As much as tiles look nicer I think I have wet wall and would be unlikely to back. It's so easy to clean. Cheaper easier to install and clean and much easier to replace.
You can get some lovely colours if you look around too.

BackforGood Tue 23-Aug-16 23:45:38

I haven't studied the link but you can get the panels that are designed to look like tiles, if that's the look your prefer.

cujo Wed 24-Aug-16 09:45:51

I have wet wall in my shower and its great. Very easy to clean and no more grout discolouring and scrubbing.

I live in a hard water area and rarely squeegee the panels, but then give them a clean every 7-10 days or so. The shower is used daily and I squeegee and wipe the glass surround every shower but this doesn't need anything like the work of the glass!

We wanted a glass look but didn't like the price so went for acrylic in the end from diamondbackacrylic.com/. I didn't want scratches so liked the coating that these people did.

Having fitted it too (on what we thought was a relatively straight and square wall) I'm glad we chose something that was easier to cut to size on site than glass!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now