Advanced search

How do I fix this?

(3 Posts)
MattBerrysHair Mon 22-Aug-16 17:41:21

I've been sanding down my kitchen worktops ready to re-finish them, and there was a very stubborn stain that I couldn't seem to get to. I put a cloth with bleach on over it and this is what has happened.

Do I need to bleach the whole bloody worktop to get an even colour before putting osmo on it? I'm worried I'll ruin it further confused

PigletJohn Mon 22-Aug-16 18:39:06

if you have sanded off the oil, wax or varnish, you can re-colour the bleached patch with Colron (wood dye).

Use a pale colour, and less than you think is needed. You can use a barely moist cotton bud for delicate work. Rub it on. The wood does not need to be visibly wet. If it is too strong you can rub it off (partly) with a cotton rag before it dies, or get a bit more off with white spirit.

Wilkinsons and Wickes (probably others) have a smaller range of colours which you can order online and collect. I only use the spirit-based ones, but there are now water-based as well.

Here is a sample piece I did recently. It is one piece of ply.

MattBerrysHair Mon 22-Aug-16 21:37:49

Thanks very much. I'll have a look tomorrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now