Talk

Advanced search

Best type of sound proof windows for my bedroom?

(9 Posts)
user1471847659 Mon 22-Aug-16 07:41:22

Hi guys. All our bedroom windows face the road and to add to the problem, my house is on the 1st floor. The primary noise problem is the traffic noise especially the honking noise Also there is a construction site nearby whose work starts at 8 am in the morning itself. The existing windows are normal builder fitted single glazed aluminium sliding windows that hardly help in reducing the noise.

Mumblechum0 Mon 22-Aug-16 07:46:22

We've just had ours replaced by a co called Jack Brunsdon & Sons, primarily for aesthetic reasons but havd neen amazed at how much quieter they've made our bedrooms.

Millionprammiles Mon 22-Aug-16 09:46:24

The best option for sound reduction is secondary glazing which would fit either over your existing windows or alternatively (for greater sound reduction) over replaced windows. Eg you could have the glazing of the existing windows replaced with acoustic glass.

The greater the width of space between the window and the secondary glazing, the greater the sound reduction.

We have sec glazing on one window, acoustic glazing on a second and normal double glazing on a third. The difference in sound reduction is very noticeable. Only sec glazing will make a noticeable difference to that sort of traffic noise in my view.

None of this is cheap though.

phoria Mon 22-Aug-16 20:00:38

i would like to know this too. i think secondary glazing is the way to go. does anyone have any experience of soundproof windows + secondary glazing?

surely there must be a way to soundproof almost entirely so you don't hear anything? how do hotels on busy roads do it?

user1471847659 Mon 26-Sep-16 06:38:44

Thanks for your reply. Can you provide some more details of secondary glazing. Where can I find the acoustic glass. What is the cheapest price? How it is the best option?

Wrinklytights Mon 26-Sep-16 08:19:57

Yeah secondary double glazing. Google it!

princessconsuelabannahammock Mon 26-Sep-16 08:32:44

We have a sound problem but ours is wind blowing up from the estuary. The houses on our road funnel the wind so the first place it lands is our bedroom and dds. I can ignore it but dd thinks the big bad wolf is outside and trying to come in.

Would secondary glazing help with this? It really is quite noisy. I remember Sarah beany? Or someone banging on about its effectiveness. We are skint so could we diy it? Has anyone fine this? We have heavy curtains and it hasn't helped enough.

Sorry for the hijack.

johnd2 Mon 26-Sep-16 08:42:41

We face a road and went for velfac windows as we had them in a previous flat and they were good.
This time we actually used triple glazing where the outer pane is slightly thicker to absorb more sound.
They also do one with an extra pane on the inside that you open inwards if you really want the excellent sound insulation, but they recommended not to bother with that to me, and in our case they were right.

Wiifitmama Mon 26-Sep-16 09:00:33

We are on a main busy road in London. Two front bedrooms. One with smaller sash windows. Replaced with completely new triple glazed (with acoustic glass) sash window. Totally blocks noise. The other bedroom has massive bay windows so was way too expensive to do this. We have tried various cheaper options over the years - none of which worked. In the end we had proper secondary glazing installed inside which has worked quite well. It is nowhere near as good as the bedroom which we replaced the windows though. If you can afford it, go for complete replacement. Our was complicated by being a conservation area and needing proper sash wooden framed windows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now