Property search in South London along the Northern line - advice appreciated!

(15 Posts)
user1471777414 Sun 21-Aug-16 12:41:57

Hi everyone, my husband has just got a new job at the opposite end of London to mine (North East vs South West) so we are moving from Kingston to somewhere like ?Oval/Kennington/Clapham/Balham. We are two professionals in our late twenties.

Any experiences with any of these places? We are ideally looking for a 2 bed property, at least 1000sq foot, budget 700k. We don't have any kids at the moment. We aren't too concerned about nightlife, would like a homey feel to the place and some convenient shops nearby if that's not too much to ask!

Any thoughts appreciated!

kirinm Sun 21-Aug-16 13:40:08

Brixton? You could probably get a 2-bed garden flat with that. It's got the Victoria line and Stockwell is on the northern line (which is a horribly busy line).

Brixton is changing very fast though. We lived there about 18 months ago and we went back there last week and it has lost a bit of its edge - seems like a Clapham crowd in the market / village bit. I expect it's slightly cheaper than Clapham. From what I've read, the tube stations in Clapham are small and dangerously overcrowded in the morning.

NotCitrus Sun 21-Aug-16 13:58:14

I'd live as close to the river as possible, given that budget. And avoid Clapham tubes as above. I lived near Oval pre-kids because we couldn't afford a nice flat in Vauxhall/ Kennington. Could you get somewhere around Waterloo towards Southwark, so could commute SW from Waterloo and east on the Jubilee or W&C?

SerenDippitee Sun 21-Aug-16 21:16:07

Clapham tubes are bloody awful in rush hour. Avoid avoid avoid.

lalalonglegs Sun 21-Aug-16 22:02:00

I live close to a Clapham tube stop - it is horrendous in the morning rush hour. I think Balham is a bit better (and you have the choice of a rail staion too) although it is zone 3 by then. If it were up to me, I'd look further north (Oval/Kennington/Elephant) as the Northern line empties out a bit at Stockwell as people switch to the Victoria Line for the West End and again at Kennington for the Charing X branch.

user1471777414 Wed 24-Aug-16 17:09:47

Thanks everyone for the great insights! The northern line at rush hour is something to definitely take into consideration. We have looked at some places near Waterloo/Lambeth north but they don't have the sq footage we are hoping for! Oval would be great (hopefully as mentioned it may be less packed after Stockwell) if it wasn't for the lack of a town centre and useful shops! I hear good things about Balham - any experiences about living there? Don't know much about Brixton but when I went there it seemed still a little too edgy for me! Maybe I'm being too suburban!

pdunne Wed 24-Aug-16 17:47:21

South Wimbledon is worth considering. It's only 10 minutes further than Clapham and there are lots of nice bits of Wimbledon within a few minutes walk. You also always get a seat on the Northern line in the morning as it's near the beginning of the line.

Svalberg Thu 25-Aug-16 12:28:57

Have a look at Colliers Wood, the tube (East) side of the High Street between the tube and the railway that splits CW from Tooting is fine, and like South Wimbledon you'll usually get a seat on the tube.

Millionprammiles Thu 25-Aug-16 14:15:55

Even in Balham you may struggle to get on the N Line - the queues can be outside the station at peak times. Tooting/C Wood better for access to N Line but Balham better for shops/more central.

S Wimbledon itself isn't particularly attractive in parts but the centre of Wimbledon/Wimbledon village has convenient shops and W Park is nice. Obvs less central so a longer commute though.

SerenDippitee Thu 25-Aug-16 14:23:36

Does it absolutely have to be Northern Line? You'd have more luck with the villagey feel that you are looking for if you would consider places on the commuter railway lines. Where are your respective jobs?

IsItMeOr Thu 25-Aug-16 14:24:36

Might be worth looking along the overground train lines into Waterloo and Victoria. While they are still busy at peak times, I find being above ground at least feels less claustrophobic. Vauxhall has good tube connection and is one stop short of Waterloo.

Balham is nice but I suspect you will find it too expensive. You could look along the southwest train line eg Earlsfield, Wimbledon, etc.

ChickyDuck Thu 25-Aug-16 14:33:04

We live between oval and Vauxhall and I think it's a fab place to be! Massive tesco and a lidl close by, the river and lots of green space, and walking distance (30 mins ish) to Clapham, Brixton, Waterloo or even into the west end (a little longer).

dinkystinky Thu 25-Aug-16 14:35:55

My sister lived in Stockwell for years and loved it - choice of northern line and Victoria line, frequent bus services and a fair number of shops, pubs and Portuguese delis.

Svalberg Thu 25-Aug-16 16:30:27

If you're catching a train from Wimbledon, rather than a tube, you'll be standing all the way. However, if you're prepared to do this, then Raynes Park (3 mins from Wimbledon) is much cheaper than Wimbledon itself.

It totally depends upon what you want. If you're just looking for a stepping-stone place, then nearer Zone 1 would be better & I'd agree with Brixton - or Peckham even. Zone 3/4 generally gives more space for your money, and a seat on the tube. The shops in Tooting, between Bec and Broadway are varied, but Colliers Wood shops are fast improving, along with the renovation of the Brown & Root tower into flats. And there's a giant Sainsbury's/M&S there, along with Merton Abbey Mills for stall-like shops and some brilliant eateries.

YelloDraw Thu 25-Aug-16 18:11:00

For 700k and 2 bed - i'd go vauxhall / oval

This looks fantastic except I think a v busy road
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52931476.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now