Talk

Advanced search

Loft conversion stairs

(15 Posts)
Amazonmulu Wed 17-Aug-16 15:51:32

We are in the process of buying a house with a semi converted loft. By that I mean it's boarded out, insulated, carpeted, has velux windows, lights, storage etc etc... But is accessed by a steep set of stairs... A glorified ladder.

How much would it cost to replace the ladder and put in proper stairs that meet regs? I know it can be done as the neighbours with exactly the same lay out have done it.

ediepop Wed 17-Aug-16 16:21:32

Following! We are in exactly the same situation. We are putting a radiator as there was no heating at all up there, and would like to have a proper staircase put in too as the current arrangement is not really safe.

ImYourMama Wed 17-Aug-16 16:23:14

We're in the midlands and were quoted £1,300 to have a staircase made and fitted, this also included the cost of widening the loft hatch to accommodate it smile that was with a local carpenter who came recommended

HollyMaingate Wed 17-Aug-16 20:10:28

Does what's been done so far meet regs and been signed off?

HollyMaingate Wed 17-Aug-16 20:11:38

there are regs which dictate pitch of stairs and if it's as you describe it may well not meet them and therefore would be rip out and start again (sorry!)

CannotEvenDeal Wed 17-Aug-16 20:14:44

To get stairs that meet regs might mean ripping out some of the loft floor to get the angle that you need and the stairs curve around. We did that for 2k in London.

YelloDraw Wed 17-Aug-16 20:17:13

To get buikding regs sign off you'll need to bring the loft room up to current building regs - which may include stuff like replacing all doors with fires doors etc.

Depends if you just want to make it safe for you, or if you want full regs sign off for future sale.

Amazonmulu Wed 17-Aug-16 20:23:34

The current stairs are really a ladder so we would be ripping out to replace. They defo don't have regs sign off. We would look at getting it signed off and thus making the changes. I'm just interested I how much this would cost (ball park)?

YelloDraw Wed 17-Aug-16 20:30:05

Yeah it depends how the rest of the loft room conforms - you might have to do lots more than just the stairs.

Lindy2 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:37:25

It's not just building regs approved stairs you'll need. There are a whole host of other rules such as head height clearance, fire doors all over the place, a clear exit route from the loft to the ground floor - open plan areas make this tricky, mains fitted smoke alarms etc. We gave up with ours in the end.

titchy Wed 17-Aug-16 20:43:32

You may also need RSJs - it's likely just boards on the rafters which won't meet regs. You could be looking at tens of thousands if you want it to be a proper room with building regs. Or don't bother and just call it a bonus room!

cexuwaleozbu Wed 17-Aug-16 21:05:28

You don't always have to have fire doors - you can get building regs approval by painting ordinary doors with a special paint which just looks like normal paint until it saves your life in a fire by expanding like filler foam if the room is actually on fire, to give you a 20 minute barrier to enable you to escape.

Amazonmulu Thu 18-Aug-16 13:01:28

Thank you all! Really useful!

Can you engage a builder to do the staircase and not follow building regs? I'm happy to not call it a room if we ever tried to sell it. I just want it to be a useful space.

And I will definitely look into the special paint! Never heard of it. Great idea!

bojorojo Thu 18-Aug-16 15:19:11

I wouldn't buy it! The reason you are required to have proper stairs and fire doors is to ensure it is safe. Any old bodging builder can put in sub standard stairs and open up a loft but when you come to sell the buyer will ask for a great deal of money off, as should you! Why spend money on more sub standard work?

YelloDraw Thu 18-Aug-16 15:22:25

Yup you can - just can't be sold as a bedroom or anything so doesn't get priced in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now