Talk

Advanced search

Power Shower Installation

(7 Posts)
notmyfirst Wed 17-Aug-16 12:28:14

Currently got a manual shower over the bath which we need upgrading to a power shower - anyone know if I need a plumber or electrician or what? We're in Northolt UB5 by the way.

Also, anyone got a cost estimation?

Current shower in picture.

Thanks!

PigletJohn Wed 17-Aug-16 13:06:20

have you got a hot water cylinder and a cold tank in the loft?

notmyfirst Wed 17-Aug-16 13:31:14

Yes - exactly that. Hot water cylinder and cold tank in the loft.

PigletJohn Wed 17-Aug-16 15:11:47

A plumber can do it. Some electricians are competent at basic plumbing. It will need an electrical connection, fairly low power, which can probably be taken from the socket circuit. Only have the pump turned on by the shower, or the noise will be irritating.

See if you have room for the pump in the airing cupboard. If you add an electrical item inside a bathroom there are several rules and it should be done by someone who is a member of a competent person scheme, for example NICIC. You will find the schemes have a lookup facility by postcode.

There are a few pumped showers where the shower fitting incorporates a pump. Aqualisa make a couple. Browse their website. Sometimes you find good offers on Plumbworld.

Your water tank needs to be big enough that there is no risk of running dry. The extra pressure will increase splashing so I don't know that an overbath is suitable. You will need a powerful extractor fan for the steam.

PigletJohn Wed 17-Aug-16 15:12:44

sorry I can't spell NICEIC

PigletJohn Wed 17-Aug-16 15:16:29

I was thinking of the Aquastream

notmyfirst Wed 17-Aug-16 15:33:14

Thank you so much. That answers all of my questions. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now