Edinburgh- best areas to move to :quiet(ish) and safe

(25 Posts)
concertplayer Tue 16-Aug-16 17:30:37

Not looking for city centre or very upmarket. Just a decent bus/tram service into the centre.
Budget £300k
Thanks

morningtoncrescent62 Tue 16-Aug-16 19:31:56

Portobello. There are lots of buses into the city centre including night buses, and the journey takes about 20 minutes. It's Edinburgh's seaside with 2 miles of sandy beach and prom - and it's very safe and family-friendly.

Mn15 Tue 16-Aug-16 19:36:35

Hi guys !

I'm moving to Coventry in about a week time I
With my one year old son, we haven't been there before. Could anyone recommend safe and kids friendly areas would be so so much appreciated !! Thank you ! X

SauvignonPlonker Tue 16-Aug-16 19:40:21

Depends what you're looking for? Schools, family areas, walking distance to city centre? Flat or house?

That budget might get you a 1-2 bed in Bruntsfield/Comely bank or Stockbridge - great if you want to be central & close to amenities. I'd live there if I was young, free & single grin

Pisssssedofff Tue 16-Aug-16 21:11:53

Coventry isn't the best, why do you have to move there ?

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Tue 16-Aug-16 21:33:03

Marchmont, morning side, Currie, balerno, greenbank. Juniper green... Penicuik is lovely if you like hills. 300k is only going to get you a flat in a lot of those areas though.
Portobello has the beach. Not somewhere I know well though.
Avoid sight hill, I gangs, wester hailes... Actually avoid any of the estates... Fountainbridge, Dalry, gorgie... Also rough having lived there.

To the south and west is nicest in my opinion - EH14 area smile pricey though! Penicuik maybe?

concertplayer Tue 16-Aug-16 22:32:52

Are Liberton and Corstorphine any good?

SauvignonPlonker Tue 16-Aug-16 22:58:00

Don't know much about Liberton. Corstorphine is nice around the high street area & up on the hill.

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Wed 17-Aug-16 11:22:18

Liberton is nice. Some huge huge houses round there!

Corstorphine has some nice bits. Up on the hill is nice. But ...The traffic there is dire though. And the lions might keep you awake at night ... The road through is the main commuting run from north off the bridge. There is always a jam there.

TheMshipIsBack Wed 17-Aug-16 11:28:00

I always have to put in a good word for the north side of town. 300k would get you a 3 bed semi or a double upper in Silverknowes, quiet and in catchment for Davidson's Mains primary and the Royal high school. 30 minute bus to city centre.

concertplayer Wed 17-Aug-16 13:05:09

Thanks Just found perfect house in LIBERTON. It is a fixed price. What does
that mean ? It has been on the market for 3months.
Newly refurbished but on a main road.

Groovee Wed 17-Aug-16 13:10:01

Corstorphine is lovely. Close to teams, buses and stations as well as the airport. Good schools too.

Fixed price means that is the price they want not offers over it.

BuzzzyBeee Wed 17-Aug-16 13:11:48

Fixed price means they will accept if you put in an offer of that amount.

Lesley1980 Wed 17-Aug-16 13:15:02

Checkout the high schools before you offer. It's Gracemont or Liberton High for Liberton.

LizzieMacQueen Wed 17-Aug-16 13:17:19

Wow, that's an uplift of £135k, that's some refurbishment.

Where do you live at the moment? Can you visit to assess the impact the road would have.

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Wed 17-Aug-16 14:03:26

God yes check the school catchment!

When friends were looking houses on opposite sides of the same road had a 100k plus difference.

purplefox Wed 17-Aug-16 16:18:47

How many bedrooms are you looking for? Definitely check out the school you'll be in the catchment area for.

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Wed 17-Aug-16 17:13:07

Which road?

fartlek Wed 17-Aug-16 21:31:37

I've got friends who have moved to Prestonpans which is just outside of Edinburgh down the coast to the east. It is on a main city bus route that takes about 30 min into town, it's on the coast, the primary school is good and the community is friendly . And you get a lot of house for your money!
I would recommend Willowbrae or Duddingston too. They are close to Holyrood park and lots of good bus routes into town. You can probably get a 2 bed for £300k or a terraced 3 bed.

concertplayer Wed 17-Aug-16 21:55:06

absolutely thrilled with all the places you have recommended.
I will continue to spend time looking with real enjoyment.
Hey we found a 3 bed in Morningside ! Great! It would be a bit of a
squeeze but look at the wonderful places on the doorstep
Hubbles It is the Old Dalkeith Road.
BTW to let you know we re half Scots (Highlands) We are care workers
and are pissed off with Brexit Our "foreign" colleagues re being racially
attacked and it is just not on. But we did plan to end our days north
so it is has come a bit earlier. This is a life decision for us
xxxx

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Wed 17-Aug-16 22:13:45

Morning side! My old stomping groundsmile fab fab lovely place to live. I've lived all over and that's one place I'd go back to. Miss it a lot... Fab shops, lovely area, great schools, easy for town.

dotdotdotmustdash Wed 17-Aug-16 22:46:39

I would also suggest Portobello, I grew up there when it was a bit rough and down-at-heel but in recent years when I've visited it's been lovely. The prom is long, picturesque and full of activity on a dry evening. It's almost got a mediterranean feel. The High Street has the usual shops plus lots of little extras and the brand-new Portobello High School has just opened. A short ride from Princes Street and lots of stuff to do.
This is a good spot, on a main road but solid house.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50725960.html

SauvignonPlonker Thu 18-Aug-16 07:58:40

Take a look at Scotsnet - there's lots of threads on Edinburgh there.

ocelot41 Sun 21-Aug-16 05:56:54

<waves to concertplayer> We are also moving to Morningside on Sept 1. Meet ups for another and friendly were discussed on another thread if you are interested?

ocelot41 Sun 21-Aug-16 05:58:03

that should be "for newbies and other friendly residents". Sorry should have coffee BEFORE posting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now