We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Very bright light over long table?

(9 Posts)
fabulousathome Tue 16-Aug-16 10:45:53

Are there any electricians or lighting designers around please?

I'm looking for a very bright light to go over an almost ten foot long dining table.

The catch is that the table is used, during the evenings, for my mosaic students to work on (so for close work, colour matching and so on) and needs to be very bright.

There is a only one (electrical) exit point for the light to attach to over the table and I'd rather not decorate to make more. I also need it to be dimmable.

It's also my dining room so I don't want commercial type fluorescent fittings that are going to look ugly.

I've been into a couple of lighting shops but they don't seem to sell anything that's bright enough and pretty enough for my needs.

I've just found this one (link below) online and I'm a bit confused about Lumens but is this spectacularly bright and may be suitable for my purposes? I do really like it.

www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/products/bravo-dimmable-led-pendant

I currently have a traditional circular 5 branch light fitting on the white ceiling and use a couple of Mother and child floor lamps too.

In the future, I'd like to just use the one very bright central light. The current set up is clumsy and not quite bright enough either.

I would really welcome some advice and or suggestions. Thank you.

Sprig1 Tue 16-Aug-16 11:08:43

How about something like this that you can lower when your students are working?

Sprig1 Tue 16-Aug-16 11:09:03

www.homary.com/uk/lighting/ceiling-lights/pendant-lights/tray-adjustable-height-pulldown-island-pendant-retro-industrial.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CPOHiLLYxc4CFcMp0wodTkQEqw

dynevoran Tue 16-Aug-16 11:10:51

Track lighting with a number of spotlights like this? Comes in a variety of lengths and colours and styles and brightness so you can get exactly what you need.

fabulousathome Tue 16-Aug-16 14:08:23

Thanks very much for those. I like the idea of the lowering one because I sometimes move the table to the side when we have a party (buffet) so that's another thing to consider.

I'm uncertain as to whether 3 x 40w will be enough though. The table is very long (almost ten feet, 118 inches and the light fitting is only 34 inches long) and it will be dark outside. Most of the students are of a certain age too.

I also have some small LED desk lamps (battery ones) that I give to those with poor eyesight to put over their work. It's all a bit piecemeal and I fancy one long light without any danger of tripping over flexes.

Does anyone have an opinion on the fitting I posted please? Is it very bright or do I misunderstand the numbers (quite possible)? Piglet John are you around? I'm scared of spending such a lot of money without being pretty sure it gets me to a better place than I am in now. Thank you.

fabulousathome Tue 16-Aug-16 14:09:53

I know I'm being fussy but I don't like spotlights on a track. Too industrial. I'm looking for something a little more elegant if I can find it.

DouglasFirs Tue 16-Aug-16 15:39:12

What about an antique pool or snooker table light? Fit for the purpose of bright lighting over your table, and also some very beautiful ones around on eBay and in reclamation yards!

fabulousathome Wed 17-Aug-16 01:00:56

That's a good idea Douglas. Thanks!

fabulousathome Wed 12-Oct-16 19:10:08

www.wimbledonlighting.co.uk/interior/pendants/led-panel-round-2.html

I'm going to have two of these installed. I really like them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now