Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd with this internal Formica/glass partition?

(20 Posts)
Truckingalong Sat 13-Aug-16 15:57:07

It's between the living room and the stairs and the glass section at the top let's light into the stairs but it's stuck in the 70s and jars with the rest of the house. However I have no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions?

mrssmith79 Sat 13-Aug-16 16:06:31

The first thing I thought was glass bricks. Or just do away altogether and get motion sensor lighting on the stairs?

Truckingalong Sat 13-Aug-16 16:26:11

Get rid, as in take it out altogether and brick it up?

Pigleychez Sat 13-Aug-16 17:37:22

If it needs to stay for light to the stairs, how about replacing it with some decorative frosted like this uk.pinterest.com/pin/441775044674036260/

PolterGoose Sat 13-Aug-16 17:50:45

A cheap option would be to paint the horrible Formica the same colour as the walls, then 'dress' the window like a window.

Believeitornot Sat 13-Aug-16 19:26:43

Yes paint the brown wooden stuff to match the wall. Change the pane of glass to a smoother more modern pane?

LuluJakey1 Sat 13-Aug-16 23:49:32

Replace it with a nice glass door.

elephantoverthehill Sat 13-Aug-16 23:55:10

Take it out. When it becomes colder decide it you want to plaster board the gap/ put a glass door in or a curtain across. Get rid of it first and then decide.

Out2pasture Sun 14-Aug-16 02:44:54

keep it and do the whole house retro 60-70's
Scandinavian teak décor with an emes chair large brass bubble lights

Doinmummy Sun 14-Aug-16 02:52:26

Paint the Formica and replace the window with something like this ?

Truckingalong Sun 14-Aug-16 08:52:22

Thanks so much to everyone for all your ideas.

I don't think taking it out would work tbh. It would just leave a strange gap in the wall and would make it really cold too.

My decor is already a mash-up of scandi meets the 70s retro vibe!

I thought about painting it but it would look just as naff I reckon - just a different type of naff!

I might get a glazing company to come out and quote for a modern frosted glass panel. I reckon it'll be ££££ though.

Leeloo2 Sun 14-Aug-16 09:23:41

I actually quite like the pattern on the top section. I'd paint the bottom to match the walls, or cover it in self adhesive vinyl if you found one that could be a feature with your decor.

From eBay you can get self adhesive frosting film that you apply yourself pretty cheaply if you don't like the top bit.

Truckingalong Sun 14-Aug-16 10:05:02

I don't hate the top bit either. I don't think I could apply a self adhesive frosting over the top though because its not a flat surface. It's kind of corrugated.

PigletJohn Sun 14-Aug-16 13:29:47

Measure it. If it is the same size as a door it will be easy to fill in.

What's on the other side? If you sent through, would you fall down the stairs?

With an LED lamp now running for 200 hours on 10p worth of electricity, borrowed light is not now worthwhile.

Truckingalong Sun 14-Aug-16 16:45:30

On the other side is just the bottom of the stairs. There is no safety risk without it there - it would just look really strange. It's much higher than an average door - it reaches all the way to the ceiling.

PigletJohn Sun 14-Aug-16 16:52:45

width?

Truckingalong Sun 14-Aug-16 21:02:22

29 inches

PigletJohn Sun 14-Aug-16 21:12:26

you can get 29" doors. How would you feel about getting two of a style you liked, and having one cut down to do the top section?

An FD30 is very heavy, bit would give better sound resistance, and is also fire resistant which can me important on a stairway, to protect your escape path.

You could have flat, glazed or panelled according to your whim. If you felt like it, you could have it hung on lift-off hinges so you could open it if you wanted, or lift it off to pass furniture through.

I wonder if it was designed that way with the intention of fitting a door.

Or you could just plasterboard over what you already have, and decorate it to match the rooms. Plasterboard on both sides would also reduce noise and resist fire. Ply, for example, wouldn't.

Truckingalong Sun 14-Aug-16 22:07:03

The picture obviously doesn't show it clearly enough - it's not a door. The door to the stairs is round the corner. It's just part of the wall, albeit a glass/Formica part! It's floor to ceiling in height. It's only real purpose it to let some light on to the stairs. It would be pitch back without it.

PigletJohn Mon 15-Aug-16 11:33:34

sorry, I didn't mean you had to have a door. Just that a door might be available ready-made in the right size so easy to put in, and available solid or glazed if you wish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now