Buying white goods from your vendor

(16 Posts)
DarthMother Fri 12-Aug-16 09:05:10

Our vendor has asked if we want to purchase their cooker and fridge freezer. Has anyone got any experience of doing this? Is it a good idea to save time and hassle? We'd have to buy a cooker anyway as we're leaving ours when we move, and our ff is getting old.

WottyMcWottFace Fri 12-Aug-16 09:07:43

Just find out what age and model they are then check eBay to see what they go for second hand so you know your not paying over the odds.

WottyMcWottFace Fri 12-Aug-16 09:08:38

Sorry posted to quickly. Many vendors tend to leave such items now as its more hassle to move them than leave them in the property. Best of luck with your new home x

Floopledoop Fri 12-Aug-16 09:17:48

We bought the fridge freezer, washing machine, dryer and oven from out vendor. Think we gave her a couple of hundred quid for them as they weren't brand new. All have been replaced over the 7 years that we've lived here, except for the fridge freezer which is still going strong and the oven only went as we wanted a bigger one.

readingrainbow Fri 12-Aug-16 09:20:52

Our vendors left their gorgeous range cooker behind. They included the cost in the price of the house, which I gather is pretty rare. We took it on happily.

AveEldon Fri 12-Aug-16 09:29:29

agree with pp - check age and model - also ask if still under warranty

We paid extra for our FF when we moved in as it was only a year old and they provided the guarantee paperwork

OOAOML Fri 12-Aug-16 10:08:37

I thought it was pretty standard to include this in the cost of the property. If the cooker is gas, or there's a gas hob, it is probably easier to keep it as otherwise you're adding removing a gas appliance to the fun of moving day. I wouldn't pay a lot for them though.

readingrainbow Fri 12-Aug-16 14:44:06

I just figured our arrangement was outside the norm because it wasn't listed as an extra cost - the cooker was just listed as part of the fixtures and fittings.

Puppymouse Fri 12-Aug-16 14:49:11

We just sold out American fridge freezer and range cooker to our buyer a few weeks ago. Price agreed in advance via estate agent based on eBay benchmark prices. We got the cash separately on day of completion.

Worked for us as they were too big for our new kitchen and he was a first time buyer. Our vendors just gave us theirs as it was pretty old. We replaced the fridge freezer straight away.

BluePitchFork Fri 12-Aug-16 14:52:17

we bought of our vendors but tbh the appliances were shit.
but at least we didn't pay much and they gave us time to research what we really wanted/needed.

FluffyPersian Fri 12-Aug-16 16:19:17

We bought the washing machine, fridge and dishwasher from our vendors.

They also sold us a single bed, a wooden desk, a multi gym, a petrol lawnmower and left all the plants in pots in the garden.

They also bought everything to redo the bathrooms but never got round to doing it, so loads of new bathroom stuff was in the garage which wouldn't have fit their new house.

We paid them £900 for everything and 7 months later, everything is going well!

As the PP said, it gives you time to research what you really want and not having to faff around with buying white goods when you move in is really useful. I'd do a very basic check that things turned on and they're not trying to fob you off with broken stuff, but it's really useful if you don't have things and the sellers don't want to move it.

Mitfordhons Fri 12-Aug-16 16:22:03

We paid £50 for a fridge freezer and sold it to our buyer five years later fo the same price.

JT05 Fri 12-Aug-16 17:43:38

We left our Rangemaster because disconnecting it on the day of moving was a hassle and our old, but perfect larder fridge. We didn't charge anything. When we found our next house we were re paid by the 'Gods'. The kitchen has top of the range fitted ovens and gadgets and they left their lovely AEG washing machine!

Years ago we once 'sold' our white goods to the house purchaser, who was a lawyer. He didn't pay for them on completion and told us that it would cost too much to get the money from him!

PlotterOfPlots Fri 12-Aug-16 23:30:23

It's worth it with the cooker in particular, because it needs a gas installation or hard wiring in, these days. A stand alone fridge freezer is just a case of putting in place and leaving to settle.

We have bought very basic models from vendors and ending up replacing fairly quickly, but as long as you only paid a nominal amount for them I wouldn't worry about it. Basically it's a bit of a gamble, and you should only gamble with money you can afford to lose. Assuming you can, it's worth gambling a bit to save hassle on moving day.

If they're offering a swish range cooker for a high price, that's another matter and you need to research it.

JellyBelly89 Sat 13-Aug-16 12:08:33

I wouldn't pay a lot. If they want to sell them to you they clearly don't want them, so don't be robbed for it. We bought brand new washer dryer, fridge freezer, electric cooker etc when we moved in. There is no way I would leave them behind or sell them on when we move. With all the recalls on products etc I like knowing what they are and that they're reliable!

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 14-Aug-16 09:43:19

Depends on how much you want or need them.
When buying their first house a dd and her dp had all white goods thrown in by vendors for a relatively small amount - perfect for them as they had nothing. Cooker was a relatively old and basic one but it was clean and it worked and they kept it until they sold a few yrs later, when IIRC they left it for another FTB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now