Talk

Advanced search

Lounge diners

(7 Posts)
PlotterOfPlots Thu 11-Aug-16 10:17:20

I like our house and it works for us, but I'm increasingly seeing it's going badly out of fashion! We have a long thin lounge diner with a nice fireplace right in the middle of the long wall, a kitchen we can just squeeze a table into (14'6" x 9"ish), a playroom and the world's tiniest hallway.

The kitchen is reasonably sociable - kids do their homework at the table etc although we don't sit in there of an evening. I love having a separate dining table for working at, or for kids to do their projects and games without having to tidy away every mealtime. The dining/projects/games table is sociable with the main living area, we don't have a practically unused dining room that people only go into at christmas.

Our house seems set up fine to me - I think we are ever so lucky to have an eat-in kitchen and a playroom. But this design, with a lounge diner, seem to be seen as so old fashioned now. Am I missing a trick, are we failing to do "modern living" right?! Is it just my lack of imagination, not seeing the transformative power of the kitchen diner?

I admit I have half an eye on value - the main thing is that it's our home, but if the "wrong" design costs us £20/30/40k when we sell, I want to at least know about it!

YelloDraw Thu 11-Aug-16 11:01:07

Huh?
I don't see what you are worrying about as long as you have an eat-in kitchen.
How is this going to cost you 30k?

Jaimx86 Thu 11-Aug-16 11:02:16

Can you add pictures?

leccybill Thu 11-Aug-16 11:05:03

We have a 28ft long lounge diner. We don't have an eat-in kitchen and I'm considering extending to get one as it's a pain carrying food through every meal time.
I wish dining hatches would come back into fashion!

Wondermoomin Thu 11-Aug-16 11:09:44

If the layout works for you, I don't see a problem. I wouldn't agonise over whether it might cost you if/when you come to sell - it will be worth whatever someone is willing to pay at the time you sell, and that has lots of variables.

Put it this way - it may or may not be "fashionable" when you choose to sell, and that may or may not affect the price you get - no certainty over that. Whereas, you can choose to change the layout at considerable expense - so that will certainly cost you, plus you lose the layout that you feel works so well for your family; or you can leave it as it is - you get to keep your preferred layout without incurring any expenditure. Seems like a no-brainer to me smile

Penelopeontherun Thu 11-Aug-16 11:10:48

The current trend is for a large eat in kitchen, perhaps with an island as well as a decent sized dining table, plus a separate living room. But in my experience this tends to rest on having a large, wide space for the kitchen, and it sounds like you don't have that, or at least not without extending (neither do I!). Your house probably just is what it is - perfectly practical and would work for many families, but won't tick everyone's boxes.

PlotterOfPlots Thu 11-Aug-16 12:33:57

Definitely no agonising here. It's not even a first world problem, it's a first world pondering.

Leccybill yes, in our old house that drove me to distraction. The table in the kitchen here is a squeeze and compromise but having it possible at all makes a huge difference.

Jaim not at the moment but I'll have a try later

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now