Talk

Advanced search

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice on electric heating systems?

(15 Posts)
shouldhaveplayedyourjoker Wed 10-Aug-16 17:18:12

Exciting topic I know!! grin
I'm considering purchasing a flat in a low rise purpose built block (built in the 70s I think). My one major concern is there is no gas in the property and no possibility of installing a new system as there is no gas allowed to the block. Would this be a deal breaker for you? 

The estate agent has implied that the vendor would accept an offer quite a bit under the asking price and my budget so I would have funds to change the existing night storage heaters for something new and more efficient but I have no experience of electric systems. Anybody got any advice to offer!? 

PigletJohn Wed 10-Aug-16 17:24:43

All electric heaters are equally efficient, in the sense that you put 1kWh of electricity in, and you get 1kWh of heat out. There are a few crooks salesmen who would like you to believe that if you spend an extra thousand pounds on a super new heater make of unicorn horn and fairydust, you cam put in less than 1kWh of electricity and get out more than 1kWh of heat.

This is however impossible.

YelloDraw Wed 10-Aug-16 18:50:29

It would not be a deal breaker for me, no.

You can get nice looking thermostatically controlled electric heaters now.

Flippertygib Wed 10-Aug-16 19:01:30

Personally I wouldn't consider electricity as it's twice the price of gas. I hate being cold and would fret about the cost all the time.

holidaysarenice Wed 10-Aug-16 19:16:25

I disagree, I live in a similar flat - 80-s build and have electric heating.

It's great for me, never cold and I feel it a lot. It's cheap too I pay less that 50 pounds a month for a large two bed for all heating, cooking, showering etc. there's three of us with an electric shower on for at least half an hour a day and I love baking. Similar flats with gas are paying about double!!

If it suits your lifestyle go for it. It hasn't affected our resale at all.

Pradaqueen Wed 10-Aug-16 19:24:36

I have just installed a 'wet' electrical heating system in a rental flat where there is no gas. Tenants have traditional rads plus a boiler and cylinder and 'normal' power shower (I.e not an electric one) but it runs off electric. Can't remember the exact cost but under £4K and it is a large Victorian basement flat. At first glance seems to work as efficiently as a gas central heating and warmer than storage heaters. You do need a plumber who knows what he is doing though.

4yoniD Wed 10-Aug-16 19:39:22

I've almost always had elec only, mainly night storage heaters. No probs so long as reasonable insulation - I find night storage is useless in very poorly insulated rooms. Would also echo pigletjohn - 1 kW in, 1 kW out. Although night storage works on cheap rate systems so that 1kw costs less!

Flywheel Wed 10-Aug-16 19:39:35

Modern storage heaters are a lot neater and more controllable than the old ones - i.e. better insulated and with a fan so you decide when the heat is discharged. However electricity is an expensive form of heating so for a large draughty flat it could be quite expensive. A more compact mid floor flat with good windows could have quite a modest heating requirement so heating costs could be quite reasonable.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 10-Aug-16 19:42:20

It would be for me after all the trouble we had in our first flat because powergen messed up our tariff.

My first flat on my own was ok though. It was £10 a month 16 years ago.

What's the insulation like?.

shouldhaveplayedyourjoker Wed 10-Aug-16 22:21:22

Thanks everyone. The flat is on the first floor and the block is three storey so it's sandwiched in the middle and we have budgeted to replace the windows with new upvc.

My partner doesn't seem to think it's a problem at all so maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily - I just don't want to be saddled with a property that I can't sell on, nor do I want astronomical heating bills!

Flippertygib Wed 10-Aug-16 23:32:14

sorry, my mistake. It seems electricity is 4 to 5 times more expensive than gas. www.which.co.uk/energy/creating-an-energy-saving-home/guides/home-heating-systems/electric-central-heating/

PigletJohn Wed 10-Aug-16 23:57:48

Tariffs vary, but I am currently paying (ex 5% VAT)

2.105p per kWh (gas)
9.55p per kWh (electricity)

so yes, about four and a half times as much.

Luckily, with energy-saving lighting and gas CH and HW, we use very little electricity. Heating, including tumble-driers, is the big energy user in the UK.

Flippertygib Thu 11-Aug-16 12:36:42

Piglet John - there are very economical tumble dryers out there though. We have a Bosch which I only use when I need to but costs me pence to dry a load of towels (I have a smart meter thingy)

Would not rent or buy a property that had electric central heating personally.

PigletJohn Thu 11-Aug-16 14:01:45

If you can dry a load of towels so cheaply, perhaps you have a heat-pump drier. They are cheap to run but expensive to buy, so there is a calculation to make.

Ordinary condensing or vented driers cost in the region of 30p an hour to run, which makes them one of the most expensive appliances (apart from electric showers)..

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Aug-16 14:06:03

A spin dryers what you need, it removes most of the water in minutes so it's practically dry when it goes in.

I love mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now