Talk

Advanced search

who is responsible for damage?

(11 Posts)
DoubleCarrick Tue 09-Aug-16 18:38:46

Next door are having some work done on their property. The work has damaged part of our property and based on what the workman has said, I'm worried that he isn't going to make good the damage or strengthen the weakness that the work has caused.

Dh is going to speak to neighbours tonight and workman tomorrow.

Who would be liable? The workman? Neighbours? Would I have to go through my insurance if the damage and weakening of the structure isn't rectified or would it be directly to a solicitor?

Sorry its brief, I don't want to give too many details as it may be quite outing but will add more if more information is needed.

We are friendly with our neighbours and don't want to cause problems for us but we are worried that the potential damage to our structure could cause long term problems with regular usage

akkakk Tue 09-Aug-16 18:49:43

you deal with the neighbour as they are contracting the workmen...
your neighbour deals with the workmen...
hopefully either your neighbour or the workman has insurance...
if you need to you get a surveyor in to analyse the damage and the consequences... and this is paid for as a part of remedying the issues...
if necessary you could have to go to court...

your insurance may offer legal support if needed

on the other hand if it is minor you maybe just deal with it to maintain good relationships with the neighbours...

DoubleCarrick Tue 09-Aug-16 18:58:16

I'm not sure it is minor. I don't think I can explain without giving revealing details but basically the workman has dug out the concrete holding in the supports on our driveway and the whole thing looks like it's starting to collapse

NoJudgingPlease Tue 09-Aug-16 19:00:14

Neighbours are liable.

JT05 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:05:17

Take photos. Talk to the neighbours. If there is not a positive outcome go to your insurers.

DoubleCarrick Tue 09-Aug-16 19:05:20

Dh is chatting to neighbours now and I'm ear wigging through the window. Neighbour is being friendly but from their discussion workman is a cowboy!!

I worry that although problems are subtle at the moment, the problem may develop quite quickly. Currently a few of the supports are wobbly and about ten bricks have sunk. But if we drive on it each day problems will show over time.
Neighbour just said damage isn't good and the workman has insurance grin

YelloDraw Wed 10-Aug-16 09:26:38

I'm not sure it is minor. I don't think I can explain without giving revealing details but basically the workman has dug out the concrete holding in the supports on our driveway and the whole thing looks like it's starting to collapse

Oh man, that does not sound good :-( Hope you get a resolution.

wowfudge Wed 10-Aug-16 09:39:56

Sounds to me as a party wall agreement may have been required.

DoubleCarrick Thu 11-Aug-16 07:04:39

Thankyou all for your advice. The workman rectified the issue yesterday and our neighbours are picking up the cost of it. I was so worried that the problem would be fobbed off! A good result

TobleroneBoo Thu 11-Aug-16 07:10:12

The contractor should have insurance for this

DoubleCarrick Thu 11-Aug-16 07:53:37

To be honest, I do think the contractor should be fixing free of charge. He's charging our neighbours £80 and they agreed so I'm keeping quiet now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now