Advanced search

How do I figure out if we should move house?

(8 Posts)
eatsleepfeedrepeat Tue 09-Aug-16 10:26:53

I feel totally split on it and like whichever decision I make could be the wrong one! Love our current house, it's on a lovely quiet road and fits us (just!), But it's a long trek to school and the garden seems small now we have primary aged children. New house is nearer school and park, bigger garden, more bedroom space but less living space overall downstairs. As current get bigger is it bedrooms or living room space that's more important? I don't want to go through all the upheaval of moving just to sit in a smaller living room wondering why I bothered! New house is in our price range as it needs work, and is unusually large for area. So it feels a bit now or never, not sure when or if another suitable one would come along! Help me please!

eatsleepfeedrepeat Tue 09-Aug-16 10:28:20

As children get bigger, sorry didn't preview

JT05 Tue 09-Aug-16 10:57:47

If it's going to be a long term home, you might also want to consider teenage children want to go to activities, into town and the logistics of taking and collecting them from where you are now.

Personally I would go for living area over bedroom space.

Unfortunately you are the only one to be able to make this decision.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 09-Aug-16 11:37:34

I agree, even big kids don't need much more than a bed and desk in their bedrooms but with teenagers you'll value having 2 living spaces. (although make it too nice and they and their friends will always be at yours!)

And they soon grow out of the novelty of having a big garden to play in - then it becomes a big garden to mow, weed, maintain.

Svalberg Tue 09-Aug-16 14:01:07

Is there potential to extend the living space downstairs? That would be my first thought. You wouldn't have to do it immediately if the children are small but you'd have the option later, when they don't want to play so much & retire to their bedrooms!

eatsleepfeedrepeat Tue 09-Aug-16 16:25:24

Thanks for the replies! Neither house has scope to extend I don't think - the potential new house has space for it but has already been extended so I'm not sure we could get planning permission to extend further?Maybe I should keep looking, and wait for a house with less in the negatives column?

Dumbled Wed 10-Aug-16 23:48:10

Your not ready. Sounds like you just want to be talked out of it grin

eatsleepfeedrepeat Sat 27-Aug-16 21:32:46

Thank you dumbled, I think you're right! Lost house to another buyer and must admit we breathed a sigh of relief that the decision was out of our hands. Stay it is! 😃

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now