Talk

Advanced search

First time living in a flat any tips on feeling safe

(7 Posts)
als30 Mon 08-Aug-16 23:19:32

Just moved to my 2nd place of my own
First was a house which didn't turn out well only lasted 9-10 months then ended up back at parents house till a few weeks ago when out the blue i got a letter saying i was being considered for a place.
This is my first time staying a flat and i really want to make this place work but how do i make my self feel more safe as its just me and my daughter
There is a secure entry etc
Also do any of you live in a flat and how do you find it?
Xxxx

bojorojo Tue 09-Aug-16 00:07:38

My daughters live in a flat in London and have done since they were 19 and 22. It is not considered a brilliantly safe area - they see the Police in the street from time to time and there is quite a lot of dope smoking in the adjacent park but the flat is safe . They are convinced the ice cream van sells the dope. There can be a bit of partying and shouting occasionally but it has been very quiet this summer.

They have an entry system and a front door and an inner front door, both lockable. The Windows have locks. It is a first floor flat.

You just need to be sensible and live a normal life. What is likely to happen? How often does anything happen in the neighbourhood you are moving to? Most people are at no real risk at all and worrying about it is counter- productive. I don't worry about my girls - they are aware how to stay safe.

Lorelei76 Tue 09-Aug-16 00:17:54

Is there anything in particular you are worried about? Otherwise it's quite hard to answer. I have only lived in flats and mostly alone. There's a raft of security measures you can take but the same would be true in a house.

YelloDraw Tue 09-Aug-16 12:23:46

What is it you don't feel safe about?

Just standard stuff like keep your door locked, get a chain, don't have valuables on display etc. If it is a ground floor flat consider those horrible looking bars on the windows if you feel unsafe, really no need if not ground floor.

aginghippy Tue 09-Aug-16 13:08:17

Another flat dweller here. I'm perfectly happy in mine and have been for years.

Why do you think living in a flat is any less safe than living in a house?

YelloDraw Tue 09-Aug-16 15:04:13

Why do you think living in a flat is any less safe than living in a house?
I often think it is safer - secure entry door to the block, no ground floor windows out of sight that can be smashed, more people about to keep an eye out etc

PigletJohn Tue 09-Aug-16 15:24:15

change the locks as soon as you move in. If it has a wooden door you can fit British Standard BS3621 locks, than which there are none better.

Unless you are on the ground floor and could escape through a window, you should not lock the door in such a way that you can't open it without finding the key, while you are inside. Wooden doors can have bolts or chains fitted quite easily, though.

Your windows need locks, especially if you have a balcony or are on the ground floor. You can conceal the window key on a cuphook in the top corner of the frame, away from the opening part, where it is concealed by curtains and out of reach of a person trying to reach in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now