Talk

Advanced search

Question about new sash windows

(8 Posts)
Fragola76 Sat 06-Aug-16 19:17:18

Hi all

we'd like to replace our old upvc windows with wooden sash windows. The houses on our street have got two panes at the bottom and two panes at the top so it makes sense to have the same.

On the quote, it states "sashes to be fitted with bonded glazing bars". Am i right in thinking that they are going to stick something "decorative" on the big pane to make it look like 2 panes rather than have 2 actual separate panes?

Is it how it's done nowadays? I was kind of hoping for old school panes but this seems like a really good company with lots of good reviews so i'm wondering if maybe that just the only way to do it?

Would appreciate your advice

cheers

Fragola

dobbythefuckingjizzelf Sat 06-Aug-16 19:23:35

We are slowly having our sash windows replaced as we can afford it and having new ones made in oak

They are making the sashes with wood where the wood should be but the glazing is one piece with the correct coloured inserts internally in the double glazed unit and then wood again once these are fitted

It's only when really close up that you can work it out how it's done although ours are just short of £1500 a window for solid oak double glazed sash with both top and bottom opening

W8woman Sun 07-Aug-16 10:27:48

Dobby that's actually a great price. If this isn't cheeky, please could you DM me details of the joinery or supplier? You're obviously pleased if you're doing the windows as an ongoing project - most people don't go in for repeat business with their window suppliers!

dobbythefuckingjizzelf Mon 08-Aug-16 18:30:18

W8woman I can't work out how to PM off the app and keep forgetting when I am at the computer but it was Paling Joiners in Hull who did ours for us, they should be coming again soon to measure and price the next batch that needs doing, only 16 left to do and a couple of doors

GreenFirefly Mon 08-Aug-16 19:52:03

Hi dobby, we're currently replacing sash windows too - I'm going to PM you if that's ok...

dobbythefuckingjizzelf Mon 08-Aug-16 20:02:08

That's fine, PM away, still haven't worked out how to access them from the app so will have a look in the morning when the computer is on

W8woman Wed 10-Aug-16 16:53:11

Thanks Dobby. I'll google them.

W8woman Wed 10-Aug-16 16:56:30

16 windows at £1500 a shot - that's some undertaking. Great that you're using sustainable materials and always so satisfying to restore the dignity of a neglected or over-modernised house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now