Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody got 'pocket' doors between rooms?

(13 Posts)
BarbequeBetty Sat 06-Aug-16 18:55:18

Anything good/bad/indifferent to say about them?
Better/worse than internal French doors?

PigletJohn Sat 06-Aug-16 19:37:55

they're rare in UK because our walls are not built that way. You would have to specify them before a partition wall was built, or add a false wall.

They are more common in the US.

SquinkiesRule Sat 06-Aug-16 21:22:50

We put one inside the bedroom wall to our en Suite. Love it. Makes the bedroom seem much bigger now there is no door opening into it from the shower room. Dh had to remove the stud partition wall that was there and replace it with one that encompassed the frame of the sliding door. It's no wider than the old wall, just framed inside with a metal door frame and roller rail thing.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:25:19

We're in the middle of an extension and having one. PJ is correct that standard internal walls aren't thick enough but if you have the opportunity to start from scratch, definitely worth considering. Will be a great use of space for us.

Theorchard Sat 06-Aug-16 21:28:07

No,but I want some! Love them!

BarbequeBetty Sat 06-Aug-16 21:35:14

Yy we are contemplating putting in a stud wall between rooms so wall width/depth shouldn't be a problem. I wondered if they do stay shut ok.
We want the rooms to definitely be separated but keep the light coming (thinking half glazed) through and the option to open everything up on occasion.

KP86 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:41:39

I wish our flat had them. So many opportunities to increase space without much effort. I have thought this in almost every house I've ever lived in. Do it!!!

In our current place, it would mean no bathroom/storage cupboard doors opening onto hallway (and making it next to impossible to pass if door is open), our hallway into kitchen door could be one, which would make lots more room in the kitchen area (or at least it should have been hung to open the other way), and in our bedroom the wardrobe doors would be 1000% better as sliders.

GherkinsOnToast Sat 06-Aug-16 22:13:25

We have them separating our sitting room and dining room and our kitchen/dining room. The are fab and let lots of light through but mean we can shut them and keep the kids out. The shut perfectly and we have a lock on one set to stop the kids getting in the kitchen when we are not around (DD2 is a knife/scissor fiend!)

ShhhhNow Sat 06-Aug-16 22:42:51

We had them in a house we built overseas. I think they are brilliant. They are practical and stylish. Our whole downstairs had them apart from the loo.

Thesunrising Sat 06-Aug-16 22:51:05

We've got an Eclisse glass pocket door between our bedroom and ensuite. It's swish - I love it. They can be fitted into two depths of cavity wall - 100mm and 125mm I think. It's feels solid and quality - not rattle-y or wobbly. Saves heaps of space.

blameitonme Sat 06-Aug-16 23:03:31

I've put them in my last two houses. First one was Eclisse - fab. Easy to fit, silent, can satisfy building regs for fire doors. This time we specified Portman, as Eclisse didn't do a kit suitable for the opening size and height. The kit was really, really fiddly to fit (by proper carpenters) and is quite noisy (rumbles!) to open and close. Solid though and looks good, we had push catches fitted so the doors recess completely into the cavity when closed so you can't see then, then to open you push them and they spring out.

Out2pasture Sun 07-Aug-16 00:32:23

I have two, both between a bedroom and an ensuite.
One closes and opens smoothly the other not so sad
we've greased it but it really doesn't work well, i'm scared to work on it as I can't see what i'm doing.

ChablisTyrant Sun 07-Aug-16 00:36:31

We have glazed pocket doors that we built in between two room to let light through. Completely brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now