Gas fire

(8 Posts)
Bigbongos123 Sat 06-Aug-16 17:33:08

Just read in draft contracts that the huge awful fire in the front room is gas now electric as we assumed.

We wanted to rip it out, as its placement makes putting furniture in the room really difficult.

We are FTB and have never even painted a bedroom ourselves blush so now I'm a bit nervous if there will be complications to removing this.

Who do I need/ what do we do?

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 06-Aug-16 17:37:59

You'll need somebody who is gas safe registered to disconnect and cap off the gas supply before you remove it.

Bigbongos123 Sat 06-Aug-16 17:43:04

I realise how utterly stupid I sound so bare with me...

Aware it'll need to be capped, but once capped we can just replastee the wall and put wallpaper up right? I feel really nervous about gas.

*disclaimer i am an overly anxious person!

specialsubject Sat 06-Aug-16 17:44:39

Yes. Does the property have gas central heating? Hope so!

Bigbongos123 Sat 06-Aug-16 17:46:44

Yes gas central heating!

Realise what I said above now! Lol I meant I feel nervous about capping gas! Years ago my inlaws had someone do a very dodgy job on a similar thing and it's stuck in my mind.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 06-Aug-16 17:55:04

I am an overly anxious person too smile
It depends entirely on what is behind the fire. Once the supply is capped, there is no gas in the appliance and it isn't dangerous.
If it is recessed into the wall then you will need to make good before papering. If it's wall hung and just mounted on the wall then that's simply a case of removing it.
If there's a chimney behind it you will need a vent.

specialsubject Sat 06-Aug-16 18:43:20

No dodgy jobs ! Go to the gas safe website to find someone qualified and authorised. Or if you are recommended someone, check them out on the site. The authorised ones won't mind.

Bigbongos123 Sat 06-Aug-16 19:45:29

Thanks Special, will remember that!

Giddy I'm pretty sure there's no chimney, but I think the wall will be need made good. That said there's a dado rail on all the walls that needs to come off too hmm so in thinking most walls are gonna need sorting so we can get a nice decent finish.

Have recently found out the current owners have never decorated. So no work has been done at all since the first owners in 95. explains a lot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now