Talk

Advanced search

Macerater toilet / ensuite Should I be scared?

(22 Posts)
Pastaagain78 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:02:28

We need to totally change the layout of the first floor. This would mean a bedroom and bathroom changing positions.

The drainage is in the wrong side of the house. The architect suggests putting a saniflo system in the new position.

I've only heard awful things about macerater toilets and am terrified of ending up elbow deep in shit.

The alternative is digging new drains.

Any advice?

Thanks!

PigletJohn Fri 05-Aug-16 20:44:37

get a bucket and dig a hole in the garden.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Fri 05-Aug-16 20:49:38

We had this, we dug the drain

RozzlePops Fri 05-Aug-16 20:49:39

They are a pain in the arse!

HTH grin

Pastaagain78 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:53:01

Thank you!

PragmaticWench Fri 05-Aug-16 20:53:58

Dig the drain. My DSIS has a macerator and it's awful. Hands down dreadful. You can hear it throughout the three storey house and it can only cope with wee, nothing 'firmer'.

Pastaagain78 Fri 05-Aug-16 21:02:28

I think we will dig the drain. I would be too terrified of using the loo TBH! Even the idea of them makes me feel sick!

SummerSazz Fri 05-Aug-16 21:05:38

We have one in our ensuite and its fine. Avoid #2's is poss and use cheap crap loo roll and we've never had a problem.

museumum Fri 05-Aug-16 21:07:55

They're loud. I'd never put one in an ensuite. Useful for basements, cloakrooms etc but not near where people are sleeping.

notnowbernadette Fri 05-Aug-16 21:08:22

Macerators are fine if you treat them well - absolutely no wet wipes! If they block or breakdown they are messy.

Sunnyshine Fri 05-Aug-16 21:11:29

My neighbours have one. It's so loud!!! Everytime the flush my kids go "the neighbours having a poo " .
it's intrusive in my house so just he much louder in theres!!

JinkxMonsoon Fri 05-Aug-16 21:14:16

I've heard nothing but awful things about Saniflo type systems. Even the name "mascerator" is horrible. Just imagine it literally chewing up shite and toilet paper grin

ShatnersBassoon Fri 05-Aug-16 21:16:14

I once stopped in a B&B in some backwater in France that had a Saniflo on the en-suite. I had to have a very embarrassing conversation with the owner to let him know it was no match for my British bowel. If it had been my last night there, I'd have left it unmentioned blush

LyndaNotLinda Fri 05-Aug-16 21:20:22

They're awful. There's no point in a loo that sounds like a plane is taking off and you can't use for anything other than wee. You may as well get a commode

AgentProvocateur Fri 05-Aug-16 21:21:58

I'd rather dig the drains with only a teaspoon than ever have a macerater toilet.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 05-Aug-16 21:25:03

Yes, that's how I feel Agent. An electric contraption designed to shred minuscule and easily dissolved shit has no place in a domestic setting.

Pastaagain78 Fri 05-Aug-16 21:25:09

General advice seems to be you would be better off 'going' in the half dug new drain than have a saniflo type ensuite!

cressetmama Sun 07-Aug-16 16:13:59

They are not ideal but treated gently (no big jobs, no wads of paper, and especially no plastic figures) macerator loos are not always a disaster. Ours is fairly quiet, at least. Would not have chosen to have one, but it was the only possible option in our basement.

KERALA1 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:21:13

However much it costs to NOT have a macerator loo, it is worth it. There is a high chance you will end up elbow deep in shit.

We had one in the attic. A constant worry and faff. Really really loud, we have alot of guests (some paying) so very disruptive. If anything went down it, even if an undigested nut in a poo (sorry gross) the damn thing broke and hideous to fix. They are unspeakable.

My sisters friend had one in her attic that leaked sewage all through their house. The day we had a proper guest loo put in was a happy happy day.

Marmitelover55 Sun 07-Aug-16 17:44:48

We have one in our downstairs cloakroom and it's been fine. We've had it about 15 years and have only needed the saniflo engineer once I think. It seems to cope fine with number 2s grin

MountainDweller Sun 07-Aug-16 18:09:11

We have one in guest room ensuite - it came with the house and it's fine. Previous owners warned us to use only thin loo roll and not to put anything else in. Never had any problems and I presume my guests poop in it, though I haven't asked! Obviously it's not getting constant use. It is definitely noisy. I think I would avoid for main toilet but fine if not used all the time.

Jules125 Wed 10-Aug-16 09:48:18

Don't have one. We recently redesinged upstairs too, without having to dig new drains. You can install new soil pipers, even if you have to take them around the house (we've put in 2 new ensuites upstairs and buildings control are signing off and our very new long soil pipes, no huge problem). This might cost a bit more but you can see everyone hates masceraters! It will be worth it in the long run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now