Talk

Advanced search

Living near a school

(9 Posts)
user1467739772 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:12:11

Random question but do most primary schools in London use a school bell? About to move into a flat next to a school and trying to work out how noisy it would be. I'd phone and ask but obviously they're on their summer holidays!

Believeitornot Thu 04-Aug-16 21:18:38

Do you work office hours ? If so then unlikely to be an issue?

Lindy2 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:19:43

I don't think it will be the school bell that will be the main noise. I have lived next door to a school and the main noise was playtime. I never minded the sound of children playing though so it didn't bother me (although sports day noise was a lot louder than usual days!)
The other main noise was the 15 minutes or so of traffic at the start and end of the day. Again, I didn't find it too much of a problem and the no noise at all at weekends, evenings and school holidays more than compensated for it.

user1467739772 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:24:50

I work shifts. Mainly in the office during the week but there's usually one day where I'm not.

CotswoldStrife Thu 04-Aug-16 21:28:32

Do you have a car? If you live near a school it's a nightmare trying to get your car out at school pick up and drop off times! I would never live near one again tbh. The noise at playtime didn't bother me, though.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 04-Aug-16 21:31:54

I've lived beside 2 small primary schools in the past, our back garden adjoining playground
Traffic wasn't too bad as a lot of parents walked their children to school.
Nice and quiet evenings and weekends!

user1467739772 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:43:52

CotswoldStrife - No, I'm in London so tube only! I went during the morning once and didn't really notice lots of extra traffic around. I imagine most kids walk in London?

WhatILoved Fri 05-Aug-16 06:33:11

I back on to a London primary school. I do not find the bell annoying and like the sound of children playing. The biggest nuisance is the traffic at school pickup as they tend to get there 10 mins early and wait. Many of the parents do not respect the area and double park/ use people's driveways etc! However having said that it doesn't put me off living here. The only time I almost complained about noise was when it was an inset day and one of the teachers had heavy metal music up full blast all day long! HahA

Sunnyshores Sun 07-Aug-16 18:52:40

lived next door to a primary for 4 years, cant recall ever hearing a bell. Bit of a pain at pick up time, but much better than seniors, pub or shop, cafe, bus stop takeaway etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now