WARM kitchen flooring

(13 Posts)
DustOffYourHighestHopes Thu 04-Aug-16 15:30:15

Underfloor heating is expensive as we're on concrete (so would cost about £10k to dig up!), so we're abandoning our fantasies of encaustic tiles on our kitchen floor.

We're looking for something that feels warm underfoot (unlike ceramic or encaustic tiles), but is appropriate for a kitchen with lots of spills and dropped plates. I'm really clumsy.

So far we've looked at:
- poured rubber (difficult to maintain in a residential house apparently)
- luxury vinyl tiles (nice but limited patterns)
- wooden effect vinyl (I don't like things pretending to be other things, and the kitchen is open plan to the dining room, which will have engineered wood.

Any ideas, hive mind?

hollyisalovelyname Thu 04-Aug-16 15:55:29

Karndean or Amtico wood effect.
The wide planks are lovely.
I have Amtico and it's brilliant.
Any good laminate really.
I put real wood in a room and it is wrecked looking and I have to replace some boards which is expensive.
I know you said you don't like things masquerading as other things but sometimes we have to compromise.

FrogFairy Thu 04-Aug-16 16:48:13

Cork? This now comes in easy to fit click together planks like laminate.
www.corkfloor.co.uk

wowfudge Thu 04-Aug-16 16:54:52

I agree with holly

DustOffYourHighestHopes Thu 04-Aug-16 18:11:18

I agree Holly and Wow... I've slapped myself and the stone effect is looking decent.

Cork looks brill too.

venys Thu 04-Aug-16 23:37:03

We have the same setup as you and used marmoleum which seems to be up to the task a year down the track. The only cold spot can be explained by a hole that needs plugging on the outside of the house.

venys Thu 04-Aug-16 23:38:45

Cork also good too. Lasts for years (had it at my mum's for at least 32 years and still going strong).

MachiKoro Thu 04-Aug-16 23:40:14

Bamboo is warm, looks nice too.

36mum Fri 05-Aug-16 00:09:35

Flotex is fabulous, it's warm, soft and easy to clean. Look it up.

IloveCheese11 Fri 05-Aug-16 18:45:12

Harvey Maria have some nice designs for LVTs.

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Fri 05-Aug-16 18:52:29

We have reclaimed timber. AlwAys feels warm underfoot

Hufflepuffin Fri 05-Aug-16 21:01:50

I've just been singing the praises of cork on another thread! It's warm and bouncy, natural and renewable.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Sun 14-Aug-16 16:50:53

Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now