Talk

Advanced search

Understairs cupboard

(20 Posts)
WittgensteinsBunny Tue 02-Aug-16 14:01:51

Ours is a mess. I really want to get it sorted out. And we are in desperate need of storage places at the moment. DH has big plans including cladding the walls in wood, building bespoke shelving etc but realistically he doesn't have time. I have no idea how much this would cost but As we haven't been able to find carpenters / chippies to take on small jobs, it really is something we will need to tackle ourselves.

DH won't have anything from IKEA. This is annoying as I'd happily have the Algot system to have shelves, hanging space and boxes.

It's a small and awkward space. We're in a 3 bed Edwardian terrace. It's about 2.5 m long by 90 cm wide. We'll need to keep paperwork, stationary, cleaning things (bucket, broom, dustpan), a small printer, and shoes in there as a starting point.

If you have one of these cupboards what have you done with it to make it usable / organised? I want it to look smart and done, not just a junk ground brimming full of rubbish. Oh and the walls are crusty old lime plaster, it's the only space we didn't replaster (lime plaster) when we had all the big renovation work done.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 02-Aug-16 14:03:14

LTB

WittgensteinsBunny Tue 02-Aug-16 15:17:40

In respect of the cupboard or DH? The cupboard really is a bit of a bastard tbh wink

namechangedtoday15 Tue 02-Aug-16 15:24:37

We're considering something like this, but we're in a 30s semi and the head height part of the cupboard is already used for the downstairs loo. We don't use it for the things you've mentioned, but will use for shoes, bags etc. FWIW ours is about 80cm but with quote a slpoing ceiling so its make access awkward, hence trying to look for something where you access the storage from the hall if that makes sense.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 02-Aug-16 15:40:15

Husband! IKEA is perfect for storage solutions.

DesolateWaist Tue 02-Aug-16 15:45:23

DH is doing ours as we speak.

It has taken a lot of persuasion and seems to require a lot of stopping to eat biscuits.

WittgensteinsBunny Tue 02-Aug-16 17:55:35

desolate what are you putting in yours? Ooh, lucky you that it's even underway!

dame! grin

namechange I thought about the drawer type storage but our cupboard is in the front room not the hallway. And it would just be a pain to pull drawers out into the small living space. We have 1m2 hallway, which is why we need to be able to put shoes and general crap away!

pearlylum Tue 02-Aug-16 17:58:34

I don't keep coats or shoes downstairs.
We all have bedrooms for clothes and shoes.
My understairs cupboard is in the kitchen/diner, it's quite tidy, I use it for pots and pans, serving and baking dishes.
Printer is in the garage.

DesolateWaist Tue 02-Aug-16 18:39:38

We are very lucky that we have two under stairs cupboards. One has shoes in and this one, the tall one, has the ironing board and 'other shit' in.
DH want a say in the 'other shit' and what boxes etc we use. I want him to put the shelves in and then leave it all the fuck alone.

DesolateWaist Tue 02-Aug-16 19:14:15

Here is the cupboard now the 60s wallpaper has been taken out.

DesolateWaist Tue 09-Aug-16 18:30:54

It now has shelves in it with a bit for holding the ironing board up!

Heratnumber7 Tue 09-Aug-16 18:38:05

Our under the stairs cupboard isn't even under the stairs, but we still call it that off topic

trickyex Tue 09-Aug-16 18:56:22

I think the Algot system would be ideal.
I would go ahead and order that and ignore your DH, unless he can come up with a better alternative?

LizzieMacQueen Tue 09-Aug-16 19:04:35

Look at the Jali website, you can custom build storage though the website is not that wasy to navigate. Items are made in MDF.

GinIsIn Tue 09-Aug-16 19:09:48

Just get it from ikea, put it in whilst your DH is out and don't mention where it's from!

engineersthumb Tue 09-Aug-16 21:27:43

The Algot system looks like its very similar to twin slot shelving. Twin slot is cheaper when bought from Toolstation or other big shed. You can also vary the spacing between uprights to suit the load, shelf type and anything already on the wall. Wickes do a range of pre laminated chip board and edging tapes to suit for a quick and easy shelf for twin slot. Hope this helps

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Wed 10-Aug-16 09:31:24

I just went to ikea (DH is also averse to ikea) and bought a cheap shoe cabinet and some algot stuff to organise the understairs cupboard in our new house. It was getting out of hand. DS2 and I sorted it all out while he was at work the other day (I'm on annual leave). DH agrees that it is much improved now.

WittgensteinsBunny Wed 10-Aug-16 19:07:14

Ooh desolate, will you look at that! Lovely! And how many packets of biscuits did it take?

I am so not handy with DIY things, I'm totally ashamed to say. And I have a 16mo and a 3 yo who would want to help.

I've come away from the Algot system now. I have some other ideas (thank you, Pinterest) and DH has promised that these will be done soon

Thanks for all the ideas though. If soon turns into an eternity, matters will be taken into my own hands. I'll be taking a leaf out of your book stepaway

DesolateWaist Sun 14-Aug-16 08:54:38

Finished now.
I'm going to let the paint dry for a few days before I can enjoy putting stuff in it.

Clever DH has made the shelves exactly high enough to take two cans on top of each other.

Leeloo2 Sun 14-Aug-16 09:17:18

Wow, desolatewaist, do you hire your husband out? He could make a fortune converting mner's understairs cupboards into things of beauty all over the country!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now