Talk

Advanced search

Buying a house South London or Brighton/Hove. Pros & Cons

(10 Posts)
lamii Tue 02-Aug-16 08:09:19

We are a couple of creative, both in age of having kids, passionate about art, freelancers, and currently living in Stockholm. We would like to move back to either London (Sutton, Bromley) or Brighton/Hove to be able to access our London network without getting the stress of central. We have a budget of 350K cash. Could you give tell me if you think Hove (or parts of Brighton) might be better than Sutton or Bromley? That might be an odd question! Thanks for your help.

freshstart22 Tue 02-Aug-16 08:17:29

Sutton and Bromley have lots to offer a family. Loads of development currently being poured into Sutton. Both are within easy reach of London - which after all great for anyone interested in the arts. It's always pretty easy to visit Brighton for a day trip from both areas.

Brighton and Hove is lovely and great for a family with young children I just can't help thinking that it's quite limiting for teenagers and their job prospects. IMO.

OhTheRoses Tue 02-Aug-16 08:23:48

Sutton schools are very very good and Sutton I nicer than I expected.

I think this I your second thread. If you've no ties, rent in Brighton fir six month and Sutton/Bromley for six months. UK property prices won't be going up in the near future and you could end up quids in - and happier.

lamii Tue 02-Aug-16 13:28:57

@freshstart22 @OhTheRoses Thanks for your help!

Yes it's my second thread around this topic. My fiance doesn't want to rent anymore. I am coming to London this week and I will visit Sutton, Bromley and Brighton. I basically want to have a house in a peaceful area, family friendly, an area that has cafes and parks, and fresh air.

What are the differences between Sutton and Bromley?

A friend of mine said Bromley has more 'chavs' and is more 'white trash'.

cestlavielife Tue 02-Aug-16 15:29:03

your fiance is being silly.

with no dc right now you can easily rent in both places or all three and see how you go and what you like.

it is daft to come buy a house straight off when you dont know the areas - when you can rent first, try the commuting, get to know the areas.

freshstart22 Tue 02-Aug-16 16:34:49

I have two friends that live in each of those areas. The friend that lives in Sutton has small children and absolutely loves the area. I know the shops are being updated currently and the parks around the area of Cheam (I think it's called Nonesuch Park)has a beautiful cafe. The village of Cheam is actually really quite sweet with a few tea rooms and the usual chain restaurants which we tend to visit.

My friend that lives in Bromley doesn't have children I know the shops are great in Bromley and there are some nice bars and restaurants but I'm unsure as to whether it's good for young families (Although I'm sure it is).

As for the 'white trash' and 'chav' label I think you will probably find that kind of a label could be attached to any suburban area outside of London really. I wouldn't particularly say that either town was a massively overrun by that kind of thing but then I don't live there. I really like the vibe of both the towns.

Marmitelover55 Tue 02-Aug-16 16:46:34

I think you should choose Bristol instead! Lots of creative types here plus parks, theatres, galleries, cafes and restaurants. Property not cheap though!

OhTheRoses Tue 02-Aug-16 20:15:38

If you want to avoid "chavs" and "white trash" I might venture that £350,000 in any of the three places you are keen on won't buy you much in the smarter, more middle class areas.

What a horrid sentiment.

OhTheRoses Tue 02-Aug-16 20:17:50

We are between Cheam and Ewell. As you boyfriend is so damning, I'm thrilled you cant afford it grin.

freshstart22 Tue 02-Aug-16 21:28:59

Ewell village is lovely ohtheroses me and my friend often go to the little teashop/sweetshop!

Sutton area and surround rocks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now