Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for updating a kitchen on a budget

(10 Posts)
NeonPinkNails Sun 31-Jul-16 17:32:07

We were planning to redo our kitchen but unfortunately the car has just died and that means we can no longer afford to sad So I'm trying to be positive and looking at ways we can spruce it up on a much reduced budget (about £1500 -2000).

These are the main things that need changing:

- hob, oven, dishwasher and washing machine could all do with replacing although maybe not all at once

- tiles have been painted, it started to come off after about 5 years so we stripped them back to basics but they're pretty grotty

- worktop has a massive hole in it where I put a hot pan down by mistake blush

- cupboards and drawers are a bit beaten up in places but OK - we've painted the fronts before and put new handles on, could probably do this again

- the sink is quite stained and too big for what we need, would prefer to replace it with something easier to look after

- we really need some more storage

Any suggestions/tips for achieving a practical new look with the money we have available?

Pestilence13610 Sun 31-Jul-16 17:39:59

ikea do the cheapest butcher block worktops around, their sinks are cheap too.
Look to second hand shops for more storage and paint to your taste

Lelivre Sun 31-Jul-16 18:19:46

It sounds like a retile and new work tops would do quite a bit to lift it. Things like the sink and washing machine I see a lot on gumtree in vgc. I got my neff steam
Oven on eBay for £100 it looked brand new and I use it daily.

I bought a bulthaup kitchen on eBay for £350 but fitting was double that. Then I bought brand new neff and Bosch hob/oven and a Samsung fridge from John Lewis. But needed a particular size dishwasher and ended up with a cheap whirlpool one and I am very pleased with it it was about £270.

I got a powerful £599 sensor extractor for £199 on eBay from a clearance outlet.

I would suggest rhe most difficult is the appliances. They add up fast! IKEA is worth a look for their unbranded appliances.

PigletJohn Sun 31-Jul-16 18:26:12

Worktop is extremely cheap if you are happy with laminated chipboard. Once you know how it is fitted, and only use screws that you can reach by lying on your back in the kitchen units, it is easy to change.

It is very heavy and needs a TCT circular saw to cut it neatly, so measure up so you can do it with straight-cut pieces (no mitres) and find a supplier (such as B&Q) that cuts while you wait. Carry it home in the shorter cut lengths. Use matching upstand to hide the back edge where your wall is not perfectly straight.

It is possible to change unit doors, but this is about as much work and cost as buying new ones. If you want to get a new sink, I strongly recommend a top-mounted sink-and-a-half in brushed stainless with drainer. There is a reason why they are the most common popular.

I'd chip off the old tiles and patch the plaster, or get a good plasterer in after removing everything off the walls, including the wall cabinets. Painted walls are cheap and easy, and retiling can wait. Scruffy tiles look much worse.

for example

Observe that plain white is cheapest.

Dutchcourage Sun 31-Jul-16 18:32:09

I've just finished doing mine on the cheap. Vist around £2000.

New work tops
Scrubbed old doors.
Took old tiles of and replaced with fresh white brick ones.
Had to pay tiler
Had to pay joiner
Painted walls sage green
Painted ceiling white with skirting boards and door.
Cheap sink and Taps from sale at B&Q
White roller blind for window
Oven and hob on sale from B&Q

Some nice new farty vases and pictures

It looks bloody lovely :-)

Dutchcourage Sun 31-Jul-16 18:32:43

Oh and we bought a new washer from currys £235 in sale

NeonPinkNails Sun 31-Jul-16 20:06:44

Oh thank you this is all brilliant, it definitely sounds as though we will be able to do a good bit for the money smile

trinity0097 Sun 31-Jul-16 21:01:51

Also make sure that you declutter and keep the worktops as clear as humanly possible - this helps it look tidy and new rather than cluttered and 'used'

Dutchcourage Sun 31-Jul-16 21:18:02

Yes to trinitywe are having a carboot as I've got loads of shit I don't use or is just clutter.

I've bought a few small classy bits, but my work tops are nice and clear. Looks bigger and better

PigletJohn Sun 31-Jul-16 21:21:49

unless you have money to burn, allow for a flat floor and a 600mm space at each position where you might want to roll in a floor-standing appliance in future, and not integrated appliances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now