Talk

Advanced search

Arkiplan - anyone used these? Any good?

(9 Posts)
Peanuts79 Sat 30-Jul-16 12:00:17

Just that really.

We have used an architect to draw up initial plans for our renovation project and are thrilled with these. However for him to submit these to planning and put out to tender to builders he would charge £1750 + vat and for building reg £2225 + vat!! To me this sounds a lot, an awful lot. I know it depends on the size of the project - we're essentially knocking down several internal walls and reconfiguring internally with a loft conversion. No external work, other than dormers needed.

I've been looking for cheaper options for the building regs to be drawn up and came across Arkiplan. They will even submit plans for free. Is this too good to be true?

SarahSea1 Sat 30-Jul-16 13:56:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Peanuts79 Sat 30-Jul-16 14:04:40

Thank you - I think that confirms in my mind that I should be looking elsewhere. How did you find someone freelance? Was it an architectural technician, building consultant or someone else - not really sure what to search for to find someone local?

SarahSea1 Sat 30-Jul-16 14:27:30

Try this guy: I found him very good: www.crdesignservices.co.uk/ Amazingly, I found a host of helpful autocad techs on People per Hour. I was initially hesitant as a) it seemed too easy/cheap and b) I didn't want any expensive errors but so far so good. I'm in London and building consultants/architectural services are expensive - the refurb I'm working on at the moment is fairly extensive (loft, rear loft, side extension - back to brick) so needs endless sections/amends which quickly racks up costs at London rates. HTH.

Peanuts79 Sat 30-Jul-16 14:37:47

Thank you so much! The website looks impressive and the fee you quoted amazing. I'll be sending an email off today....

JT05 Sat 30-Jul-16 17:37:56

Are your Archtects plans copywrite? Also you should satisfy yourself that anyone drawing plans for a builder to work from has suitable indemnity insurance.

Peanuts79 Fri 05-Aug-16 13:00:38

Thanks JT05, I've just checked and not copyright. He's sent me across PDF files so I can submit them for planning - asking £180 for these despite me already paying £2K in design fees. I guess I just pay this extra price and move on for building regs...

poochiepants Sun 07-Aug-16 11:49:58

That does sound high, but beware online offers - planning applications cost £172 throughout England so someone will have to pay it, I suspect the online people won't charge you a percentage on top of that, which is where they mean 'we won't charge you'...

Basically you be best off trying to find a build consultancy who can cover all those 'little' things that you'll need to do between getting architects plans to digging the first hole.....are you building within 3m of your neighbour, if so you'll need a Party Wall surveyor etc etc.

Where are you based? I might know someone if you're in the SE....

caroldecker Sun 07-Aug-16 12:33:55

You pay a properly insured professional for when things go wrong. Going down this route is cheaper on day one, but what if it goes wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now