Talk

Advanced search

letter to contractor for the **** work he's done

(7 Posts)
Daffyduck2016 Fri 29-Jul-16 23:47:45

Your thoughts on what I've written please. He's asking me to pay the remainder of the outstanding balance.

I am very disappointed with the standard and quality of work that has been carried out. I have been left with a toilet that you was unable to screw in to the floor because you have laid the underfloor heating directly underneath, thus leaving me with an unsecure toilet, I have also been told that due to the underfloor heating being laid under the pan that there is a good chance of the pan water drying out whilst the underfloor heating is on. I have a white waste pipe running from the sink across the bathroom almost a foot high which I asked to be boxed in and once again you were unable to do this because you would have to screw it in to the floor which once again would damage the underfloor heating. Furthermore you said that there is no point boxing it in because you can see the piping behind the sink anyway. Aesthetically this part of the bathroom is appalling. The bath panels both side and back have also not been screwed in, once again for the same reason previously mentioned. One of the caps that cover the screws for the tall radiator fitting has a big crack in it. The shower has also been incorrectly fitted.
The tiling on the floor has to be taken off because you have done the piping all wrong. The work carried out has been described as lazy, corner cutting, unacceptable and one plumber said they have never seen anything like it before. Two 22mm pipes should have been laid instead of the 22 and 15mm that have been laid. They were also shocked at the use of compression joints. I now have to pay another plumber to take out all your pipework and re-lay new correct piping. I may also have to pay for another cistern because there is a chance that it will break when trying to move the toilet due to it being glued to the wall. The small radiator in the toilet room has been fitted with the pipes and TRV valve pointing out at an angle, this will also have to be rectified as I have been told that it could have been placed on the opposite wall or a small bend put in so the pipes would come up straight.
6 weeks into the job (a job which should have taken no more than 2 weeks) you informed me that you were unable to fit the second toilet due to a height difference and claimed extra work needs to be carried out. I have had two plumbers out who have said there isn’t a problem with the toilet waste pipe and that no extra work needs to be carried out to fit the toilet.
I did ask you to finish off anything that needed doing, obviously you decided to not finish off the grouting or filling the chrome edging going around the top edging of the bathroom. The grouting was unfinished and was left all over the tiles in both the bathroom and toilet room, I only managed to clean grout off one wall in that day and there are silicone marks on the shower screen that I am struggling to remove. There was 13m2 of tiling in the toilet room and three bags of grout were purchased (each bag coverage was no more than 5m2) yet only one bag has been used. I can only assume that not enough grout has been used.
I asked you to strip all the wallpaper in the house, every room and the hallways. You said you had a team and it would be done in a few days. It took over 5 weeks for every room to be stripped of wallpaper and you even suggested plaster skimming over the wallpaper in the small bedroom. At the time you quoted me £150 but the fee you are now demanding for stripping the wallpaper is extortionate and downright offensive. I can only assume you are demanding this extortionate fee because you were complaining that there were 3 layers of wallpaper on some walls. You had the opportunity to assess the wallpaper before any works were started and I am not to blame for the number of layers of wallpaper.
I have had to spend a whole day cleaning the house up after the mess that was left all over the place. Broken tiles, tile adhesive and wallpaper stripping were all over the house and the driveway.
On a final note you have yet to forward me the certificate for the electrical works that have been carried out in the bathroom and have not returned the key for the house.
All of the above only vindicates my decision to ask you to leave the bathroom and toilet as it was and to inform you that no further works are to be carried out by you. I will now have to pay more money to rectify all of the above and am considering my options regarding the money that I have already paid out to you.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 30-Jul-16 07:21:25

Did he give you paperwork, including your rights to cancel, etc in accordance with the legal part of being a supplier of services to people on their own homes ?
If he didn't then you sit have the right to cancel and get a full refund . See a solicitor !!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 30-Jul-16 07:21:53

*still have the right

Severino Sat 30-Jul-16 07:26:24

Take photos of everything you have mentioned, hope you also have photos of before you started to clean/tidy etc

fuckyoucanceryoucuntingknob Sat 30-Jul-16 07:27:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Daffyduck2016 Sat 30-Jul-16 10:22:06

Thank you for the advice. He didn't give me any paper with cancellation rights. I have put it in bullet points and it looks much better. I was asked to supply all the materials.

Other works that needed to be done such as the piping, he went out buy the materials but wouldn't give me a breakdown of what the materials cost. Now he's just throwing figures at me with no receipts.

I really needed the kids settled in the house before school starts again in September but it's looking highly unlikely. He's caused all sorts of delays with the electricians and plasterer. We'll be lucky if we're in by November!!!

Ragusa Sat 30-Jul-16 22:05:13

What a total bastard. How do people get away with stuff like this?? I would be so ashamed to produce work like that...

Sorry, no practical help, but honestly... some people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now