Why are showers so complicated? What will work?

(2 Posts)
notagainnellie Fri 29-Jul-16 08:22:10

I need to replace my ensuite shower. Currently there is an old, yellowing electric one in there that is like standing under a dripping tap. I have had several plumbers out to give quotes and am just getting more and more confused and I really want to get this done by the end of the summer.

Water pressure is low and there is a gravity fed system (not combi). Cheapest option would be a new and better electric one, but I have read that this wouldn't solve the pressure problem so would probably not be great still.

My ideal option would be a thermostatic one, but latest plumber says even with a pump added this would not be ideal as it would pump the water so fast it would then run out/not be hot, and I would also need a new tank. This would push the cost up to approx 3K apparently, which is more than I want to pay as have been quoted 4.6K for a whole new bathroom and had thought this would be a cheaper option while I save a bit towards the bathroom.

So, in short, do I definitely need a new tank along with a pump? No one else has said so, and all the articles I have read just recommend pumps and don't seem to mention tanks then needing replacing. Obviously, I don't want a costly mistake!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 29-Jul-16 13:37:21

Have you got a hot water tank in an airing cupboard?
We never had any problems with a basic thermostatic shower and pump when we had that arrangement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now