Talk

Advanced search

Accepted offer, need to find somewhere to buy - help!

(11 Posts)
NotJanine Wed 27-Jul-16 14:43:08

Position is that offer has been accepted on our house and the buyers would like to move in quickly, ideally by end of September. We said fine as we want to move out quick (divorce).

Have viewed loads of houses but haven't seen anything that I feel is 'the one' - although have seen a couple which would be ok (admittedly with downsizing, it's hard to get enthusiastic). There really isn't a huge choice available in my price range, the area I need and the number of bedrooms. I'm also aware that this is traditionally a quiet time due to the school holidays.

What would you do in my shoes - put in an offer on an 'ok' house, wait a bit longer to see what comes on the market or think about renting (although, again, very little to choose from and long term lets only). Feeling frazzled with dealing with this all on my own, so any opinions and support welcome.

user1469371341 Wed 27-Jul-16 15:04:18

I would suggest a cheeky, lower offer on a property that you like in the area you like. From working in the property industry and knowing those who do, without giving too much away it really is a buyer's market, it seems that the buyer holds most of the ace's rather than the seller. On the basis that you have been able to sell your house already, i would say you are in a strong position!!!

NotJanine Wed 27-Jul-16 15:22:43

Well, I did make noises about an offer on 1 property, which I thought was a fair price but probably seemed cheeky (£230k on a £250k house) and the agent said the owners wouldn't be interested. It seemed massively overpriced to me, when I looked at comparable houses that had sold in the area.

whois Wed 27-Jul-16 15:44:42

the agent said the owners wouldn't be interested

They have a duty to pass on all offers...not just tell you that the wouldn't be interested.

That is only 8% off, might be worth another try at your 230 offer in a week or so if the property is still on the market.

dobbythefuckingjizzelf Wed 27-Jul-16 15:50:32

An offer of 230k on a 250k house is fair I would say, friend of mine has her house on the market and has had an offer 70k lower than asking price which is only around 290k anyway

Needless tommorow say she told them tommorow sod off, if they had come in 20k under I think she would have taken it

dobbythefuckingjizzelf Wed 27-Jul-16 15:51:40

Tomorrow should be to

Done know why this frigging phone makes every to into tommorow

Warl Wed 27-Jul-16 15:53:15

As whois said the agent has to pass on all offers even if they are fairly certain the seller will turn it down. To fair that isn't a ridiculous offer on a house of that value so depending on how quick a sale they want I think they'd come to an arrangement with you. All I will say is in your position I would rather go for buying a 'OK house' with the view to move on in a year or so than to go into a rental, I've been in that position following divorce & it seems ok once you have the house sale money in your account but once you get in the rental it just keeps depleting & you might get stuck in renting. Good luck!

NotJanine Thu 28-Jul-16 09:04:54

I didn't make a formal offer on the house, I just said that I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than £230k for it. I suppose he should have asked me if I wanted him to put that forward as an offer to the vendors.

I have found that the estate agents I've dealt with have mostly been terrible. Not returning my calls, making it difficult to view properties, not telling me about houses that come on the market that suit my needs. I've even had one that left me to look around a house on my own and her only input was to point out the negative aspects!

I have viewed another one now. In a slightier scruffier area, but nicer/bigger house. Decision, decisions... confused

hexidecimal Thu 28-Jul-16 10:57:06

user how cheeky is cheeky?! I'm in a similar position to the op being under offer but really struggling to find my next property.

PurpleWithRed Thu 28-Jul-16 11:01:24

Rent for 6 months to a year. At the moment agents and sellers have got you over a barrel - you're in a rush, can't afford to be picky, in a chain etc. If you go into rented you become a very attractive buyer, you can take your time waiting for the right property to come along, no risk of you messing up a complex chain if there are delays in selling your current property.

Worked brilliantly for me: highly recommended.

NotJanine Thu 28-Jul-16 11:08:29

I think it is useful to look on Rightmove for properties have recently sold or are under offer - to see if the asking prices are lower than what you're looking at (I've noticed that they generally are. If they are priced right, they are selling quickly, everything else just hangs around for ages).

And also look at house prices to get actual sale prices, although you can't get up to date details - I think the latest ones are March.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now