Slate hearth vs tiles in 1950s house

(4 Posts)
kernowgal Tue 26-Jul-16 21:26:33

Evening all.

I've had a couple of quotes to fit a woodburner in my living room and I need to get a hearth fitted. I don't know whether to go for a slate hearth or perhaps for tiles - the floor underneath is concrete so no issues with combustibles below.

Any ideas? I don't know what would suit the room best. Unfortunately cost is also an issue.

SwedishEdith Tue 26-Jul-16 21:41:00

Quarry tiles look good - the dark ones. Cheaper than slate, I assume.

JT05 Wed 27-Jul-16 08:19:07

You can buy floor tiles that look like slate, but are much cheaper. We are about to have a replacement wood burner installed. The old one was badly installed by the previous owner. There was no hearth! Our installer is providing a 'slate' hearth, which I suspect is composition of slate. He warned about getting riven, slate or tiles. The stove has to stand level, so a bumpy surface can be difficult for installation.

kernowgal Thu 28-Jul-16 20:39:26

No hearth - eek! I've decided to go with a slate hearth as pricewise (including installation) it wasn't much more expensive than getting a tiler in to do a proper job, including materials.

I love quarry tiles but they wouldn't look quite right in the room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now