Talk

Advanced search

If you went on the market around Brexit vote, are you getting viewings?

(22 Posts)
SueGeneris Tue 26-Jul-16 12:53:53

We put our house on the market the day before the referendum.

We have had not one viewing. We have reduced the price once and I think we need to drop it again to fit in with what else is available but I'm wondering whether the lack of viewings is because no-one is looking and people are waiting for things to settle down - or holding out in case prices drop.

If you're on the market, have you had viewings post referendum? We're in the South West.

Marmitelover55 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:56:28

We put a house on the market last week (very nervously) and accepted an offer over the asking price this morning! Very surprised and fingers crossed it goes through. Hope yours gets more interest soon.

Hs2Issue Tue 26-Jul-16 12:58:49

We're in Yorkshire - house went on market week afterwards and had 4 viewings the following weekend. Accepted offer last week from first time buyers.

SueGeneris Tue 26-Jul-16 13:45:25

Ok! Will definitely be reducing the price I think!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 26-Jul-16 13:54:26

Not quite the same but DH tried to sell a house he owns twice (London borough) in two auctions before Brexit but it failed to sell. He sold it in an auction yesterday at the price he always wanted to achieve. So before Brexit it didn't attract a buyer, post Brexit it did!

Good luck, you must feel frustrated.

Mommasoph30 Tue 26-Jul-16 14:56:00

Hi,

We put our house on market 3 weeks ago, couple days after EU REF and we sold it within 4 days.

Just had offer accepted on one we liked yesterday,
I think its all down to Area, Price and Situation.

I am based west midlands, was selling a 2 bed home at reasonable price to upgrade . Judging by right move some properties have reduced in price over last month, but i think they were over priced to begin with!

Do you have the link and maybe we can give feedback X

needsadrinky Tue 26-Jul-16 15:10:01

My mil was due to exchange and complete the week after brexit her buyer started faffing about and pulled out on Thursday last week very strange thing to do as she was investing a windfall in a buy to let in a very popular commuter belt area 30 minutes from central London, my mil has a week to find another buyer or lose the property she wants when it goes back on the market. sad

HaPPy8 Tue 26-Jul-16 16:27:12

Yes and sold within a week fingers crossed it all goes through smoothly!

SueGeneris Tue 26-Jul-16 16:28:18

It's hard to know what people are thinking. Our EA reckons not many people are selling on the rung below us but the agents who are trying to get us to sign up with them instead are saying there's lots of movement.

But they would say that!

whois Tue 26-Jul-16 16:29:37

very strange thing to do as she was investing a windfall in a buy to let in a very popular commuter belt area 30 minutes from central London

That really upsetting for your MIL needsadrinky.

But not such a strange thing to do if they are worried about declining prices and declining rents - probably think they will be able to snap up a bargain in 6 months time. No one really knows if that will be the case.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 16:50:46

I wouldn't be reducing it just yet, It's just over a month.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 16:51:55

Especially as you've not long reduced it already.

SueGeneris Tue 26-Jul-16 17:06:57

Yes, we were thinking of waiting until September to reduce again because we thought there might be a lull over summer anyway.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 17:52:52

Yes, I think there is a lull in the Summer, then the rush to get moved before Christmas! Is yours priced around the same as similar properties in your street/area.

SueGeneris Tue 26-Jul-16 18:17:44

It was, then a couple of places reduced their price and a couple came off the market so now I am certain we are priced £10k too high. Just a question of whether it looks bad to reduce again now or better to wait a few weeks - or whether it really matters at all!

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 18:38:39

I think I'd wait a few weeks but it'll depend on what your circumstances are, if you've found somewhere else to move to and can manage this loss then maybe you should reduce, also could you get something more off the place you're going to.

SueGeneris Tue 26-Jul-16 18:51:22

I've seen a couple of places that I would look at if we had a buyer but figured that until we do there's no point viewing anywhere as we are not proceedable.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 26-Jul-16 19:03:50

Yeah, that's probably best, you don't want to set your heart on anything. I'd keep an eye on those type of places you want, see if they drop their prices too, won't feel so bad dropping yours then.

newname99 Tue 26-Jul-16 20:49:48

We are not officially on the market but had 1 viewing as a buyer wants our road.The EA said that viewings are down but offers are the same I.e less tyre kickers and more motivated buyers.

We can't see anything we want to buy and not much around.We're just outside London

frillyflower Tue 26-Jul-16 22:02:13

Anyone had any experience of shared freeholds and uncooperative neighbours?
What happens if you want to sell and one neighbour won't give permission for you to transfer your share of the freehold to the buyer?

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 27-Jul-16 07:20:28

frilly that sounds a nightmare, have you looked back at the paperwork when you took the property on for all the details regarding this. You might be better starting a new thread, I'd say you'll get more responses.

RebelandaStunner Wed 27-Jul-16 08:08:05

Two big family houses near us have sold in the last week. One was on about a month the other a week. I know the people who had it on for a week they had two offers.
Our investment purchase went through no problem a few days after Brexit. Intending to keep it for a long, long time if not forever so didn't even consider Brexit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now