Advanced search

How long did you take to respond to an offer from a buyer and why?

(11 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Sat 23-Jul-16 10:55:44

Just wondering what's normal really. We put in an offer on a house we really love on Friday, agent has passed it on and we're waiting to hear back from the sellers. They are having a home open on Sunday so we're not expecting to hear back before then as understandably they're probably going to see what interest they get before deciding what to do with our offer. But would it be reasonable for them to wait like a week or more to come back to us? Or should we be hoping for a reply by the first half of the week?

No idea what's normal as I've never sold a house and I'm tying myself in knots trying to second guess all possibilities! If you were selling and took a while to respond, what were your reasons? Or how long did you have to wait to hear as a buyer? All answers here massively gratefully received!!

Marmitelover55 Sat 23-Jul-16 11:00:02

We received 2 full asking price offers on Thursday and are waiting for a best and final offer on Monday at 9am now thinking we might have priced it too cheaply

CaptainWarbeck Sat 23-Jul-16 11:30:39

That sounds great marmite! Sounds like it was priced pretty well. How long will you take to decide on the final offers when they come in on Monday do you think?

NotJanine Sat 23-Jul-16 17:15:09

We've always responded quickly, generally immediately. I guess it's different if you're expecting lots of offers though.

Bearbehind Sat 23-Jul-16 17:17:09

I'd expect some communication on Monday even if it's just to say they are considering other offers made over the weekend in an attempt to push you up.

SusannahD Sat 23-Jul-16 17:17:28

straight away as the offer was asking price

Marmitelover55 Sat 23-Jul-16 19:11:53

Hopefully on Monday. One buyer is a cash buyer so they would be favourite as things stand. I am feeling slightly relieved as was worried about Brexit problems. House was only marketed for 2 days.

yomellamoHelly Sun 24-Jul-16 10:09:40

Last house we had something like 15 viewings over the space of 5 days. (Was marketed / there were details for maybe a week before that hence being able to schedule them all together - young family.) EA collected the offers. (We had 9.) And vetted the top 2. Did that on the Sunday (most people had viewed on the Saturday).
We then offered on the house we wanted first thing on the Monday morning when we knew what we were getting for our current property. After some haggling they'd accepted by mid-afternoon so we told our EA we'd accept their assessment of the most suitable buyer.
So the couple that got it could have waited a week or just a couple of days.

First place we had 2 offers the first evening it went on the market (2 viewings). Place was sold by the morning. (But it took us a couple of weeks to find a place and get our offer accepted.)

CaptainWarbeck Sun 24-Jul-16 11:07:55

Wow that's all really quick Helly! I had no idea it could all move that fast. *
This house has been on the market for nearly three weeks so far and we're the only offer at this point. Sooo maybe they'll come back to us to negotiate, I hope they don't wait for ages and ages hoping for other offers.

Sunnyshores Sun 24-Jul-16 12:11:04

Ive always said no instantly if unacceptablr or yes instantly if an asking price offer.

Something almost acceptable Ive taken a few hours over - whether then to say yes or no. sometimes mostly though the Estate Agents are the ones who delay the answers.

hangingoutthewashing Mon 25-Jul-16 06:19:28

Same answer really as sunny , if the offer is good enough I would accept straight away but usually if it's a bit below I get the agent to try to get them to come back with a slightly better offer , this usually takes no more than a day or so , if it's far too low I just instantly reject .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now