Talk

Advanced search

Moving a boiler 'outside'?

(9 Posts)
SawdustInMyHair Fri 22-Jul-16 21:15:57

My boiler is currently in my kitchen, and takes up a lot of cupboard space in my small flat. It's old and needs replacing anyway, but I want to move it outside, and build it a little shelter to live in.

The actual moving won't be too massive a job - it'll literally be in exactly the same place on the other side of the wall. I'm more concerned with what I need to consider moving it out? Has anyone done it? Did it go on fire or anything?

blueskyinmarch Fri 22-Jul-16 21:20:15

Our last house had oil heating and the boiler was outside. It was good as oil smells when it burns. No idea about gas though.

SweetPea79 Fri 22-Jul-16 21:20:55

Gas or oil?

You can get external boilers, if you're gas it would be unlikely that regulations would allow you to box it in. So you'd have a large green box on the outside of the flat which I assume you'd need permission for if it's a communal building.

You'd basically need a new boiler installed by a qualified engineer.

SawdustInMyHair Fri 22-Jul-16 21:29:47

It is gas, I should have said!

I own the freehold, so I don't need permission, and we're on the ground floor.

I was thinking of having like a brick cupboard/mini-outbuilding for it against the back wall. Insulated and all that.

SayrraT Sun 24-Jul-16 09:38:14

I'm not sure if you can just move an internal boiler outside. Lots of people round here (including me) have external boilers but I think they are different boilers and not just an internal one moved out.

You'd be best asking a boiler installer person.

Doje Sun 24-Jul-16 09:44:07

We did this! The boiler man suggested it, and I'm afraid we followed his advice without really questioning it!

We have a cubby hole thing that is under the stairs, but accessed from outside, so perhaps slightly different to what you're suggesting.

No problem whatsoever with it, and it's freed up space inside. We're selling our house at three moment, and no one has suggested it's a problem.

SayrraT Sun 24-Jul-16 09:54:00

Maybe you can then! grin

specialsubject Sun 24-Jul-16 10:40:44

Person with a smelly oil boiler - get it fixed. A correctly functioning one doesn't smell.

SawdustInMyHair Mon 25-Jul-16 14:19:30

Thanks!

I looked on the planning permission site for my borough (flats, even owned ones, don't have 'permitted development' so I'd have to get PP even for this tiny thing) and found someone not far from me who has done it, with some very useful plans! It's almost identical to what I am planning, right down to the positioning, but it doesn't say what type of boiler so I guess I'm going to have to ring around a few places and see if they've done it before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now