Talk

Advanced search

Packing Boxes - Where to buy / recommendations?

(34 Posts)
IntelligentPutty Thu 21-Jul-16 07:58:19

Hi,

Expecting to move in about 6 weeks (all going well). Need to start packing things away. I think will use vacuum bags for clothing.. (to save space).
BUT.. anyone got any recommendations for boxes?
I was looking on ebay and see some multi packs with varying sizes, and I think that "double walled" will be best.
But maybe some of yuo lovely people have some good suggestions!??

smile

Sgtmajormummy Fri 22-Jul-16 13:22:00

We went through a decade of moving every 18 months when the kids were small. Here's what I learned.

For ease of carrying, try to get packing boxes that are less than 60cm long. I'm average height/arm span and I just can't manage that comfortably. If there aren't any handles on the box, cut T shapes to make a hand hold. And mix heavy things (books) with light (toys) to reach a manageable weight.

Code your boxes from Z to A (or 100 to 1) visible on all sides because you'll be packing less useful stuff away first. Write a few words along the sticky tape to tell you what's inside. Use towels and bedding for protection instead of bubble wrap.

Hanging wardrobe boxes are useful, light plastic things like toys can be tied up in a tablecloth knotted in the middle and tossed about. Remove any legs from tables, shelves from bookcases etc. and tape them together. Saves on bulk, weight and accidents.

Declutter as much as you can. Run down your supplies and the freezer as soon as possible.
Book a hotel for the first night!

Sgtmajormummy Fri 22-Jul-16 13:36:15

Another tip: the big white plastic binbags from LIDL , the ones with a pink drawstring, are great for transporting clothes on hangers.

Just tape the hangers together at the neck 6 at a time, then cut a small hole at the bottom centre of the bag. Slip the hooks through, pull it over and pull the drawstring.
I think white binbags are just a bit naicer than black for jobs like that (binbag snob!).

BarbaraPymish Fri 22-Jul-16 15:24:48

I've just moved myself and by the end of it had used loads of boxes of all sizes, easily over 100. I ordered and reordered from Davpack: www.davpack.co.uk/. The service was excellent, delivery in 2 days and the boxes were of good strong cardboard. They are quite pricey though.
Good luck with you move

Afterthestorm Fri 22-Jul-16 19:24:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SecretSeven Fri 22-Jul-16 19:50:00

Former removals man here. I would suggest asking on FreeCycle for proper removals boxes. They are v expensive to buy but easy to get for free.

Don't use bags or supermarket boxes. Not strong enough, and irregular sizes so you can't pack as many. Use newspaper and your bedlinen to pack up to fragile items. And take your time! A professional outfit would usually have three men and one 7.5t lorry for your size property, and assuming everything was ready take 4 hours to pack everything. People overestimate the skill needed to do removals work, I would agree that a night in a hotel and packing the day before is a good plan.

Typically, I would have used a 7.5t lorry for most houses.

IntelligentPutty Sat 23-Jul-16 08:49:44

Thanks for all the advise. I'm picking up some free boxes tomorrow from a Facebook post.
And just discussed clearing the living room with dh so that we can stack all the boxes we pack in there. Then i should de able to do some every night and be able to really get well prepared.
I'm going to LIDL This weekend so see what bin bags they have (in white of course).
I like the idea of staying in a hotel in fact my dad lives very near and he wouldn't mind us staying there so I think we might do that.
And try and arrange it for week days so that we can send dd to nursery.

Can't thank u all enough for the advice !! ;)

DeliaEJames Mon 25-Jul-16 07:45:32

eBay, Argos and even your local grocers offer boxes. Local shops sometimes give them out for free. You can also ask friends, neighbors? I'm sure they have some to give you. You can also hire a moving company. Their service includes giving you the boxes you need.

IntelligentPutty Thu 15-Sep-16 21:17:35

We moved in Monday!!
Got a lot of boxes from Facebook site (for free. Bought a pack for 20 on eBay.
used a removal company.
Stayed at my dads (nearby) the night before and after.
Went like a dream. Thanks for all the advice.
Boxes soon to go on fb for free. ;)

packingsolution Mon 02-Dec-19 07:31:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »