Cutting up logs

(6 Posts)
Rupster Wed 20-Jul-16 13:16:05

I have a large quantity of firewood logs that need cutting into pieces I can use in the open fire in our lounge.

I'd like someone to come over to our house and chop them up for us.

How would I go about trying to find someone? I have no idea what to google!

Thanks in advance.

specialsubject Wed 20-Jul-16 14:48:35

I think you need someone with a chainsaw! Perhaps also try tree surgeons - if they don't do it they may know someone who does.

CanadianJohn Wed 20-Jul-16 15:03:02

There are two stages - the wood is cut to length, and then split.

The cutting to length is done with a chain saw, the splitting is with an axe + wedge or a log splitter.

redhat Wed 20-Jul-16 15:09:53

You need a tree surgeon and they're not cheap.

Alternatively you might find that a general gardener /landscaper will have a suitable chainsaw to make suitable sizedrounds (but they're unlikely to have a log splitter which means you'll need to become familiar with an axe - or do what we did and buy a hydraulic log splitter.)

Our heating and hot water is all log fuelled. Obtaining log rounds generally works out no cheaper than buying split wood unless you can do it yourself because you have to factor in the labour at circa £80 a day.

missymayhemsmum Wed 20-Jul-16 20:10:15

Why don't you just buy a decent axe/ splitter/ bowsaw and do a batch at a time when you want them? Great stress relief and not difficult once you get the hang of it.

Rupster Thu 21-Jul-16 09:28:33

Thanks for all the advice. I do have an axe and I have managed to do some splitting, but it's tricky without something to hold the logs properly. Some logs are an odd shape and won't stand up straight for me to split them.

Some of the rolls definitely need chainsawing to the right height before splitting, and I don't own a chainsaw.

I probably have enough wood to last me 3 or 4 years as I only have maybe a dozen fires a year, and I'm happy to just pay someone to do it all in one go. Hopefully they can cut some up as kindling too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now