Advanced search

Scottish buyers/sellers support

(418 Posts)
Sleepybunny Mon 18-Jul-16 13:49:37

Wondering if there are any Scottish MNers house buying/selling and looking for support?

I was going to join the other buyers/sellers support thread, but realise the Scottish system makes the issues encountered a bit different.

We've just put our home on the market (today!) Seems to be a very quiet market at the moment so it's making me nervous.

No viewings as yet, but I'm thinking (praying) its early days.

Anyone else out there in a similar situation?

Sleepybunny Mon 18-Jul-16 19:20:12

Just me then grin

We have one viewer now, whoop! Not sure about buying just yet. Seems the area we're moving to is a bit more competitive.

aaahhhBump Mon 18-Jul-16 22:00:03

Us sort of. We sold in 13 days through Purple Bricks. All scary. Due to move some where end of August. We've bought a new build but it won't be ready till November.

aaahhhBump Mon 18-Jul-16 22:02:20

Only one viewer as well, viewed twice and put in an offer. Tend to take 4 -6weeks here so under 2 took us by surprise.

Flippertygib Tue 19-Jul-16 07:34:34

Sleepbunny - hope you are not in Aberdeen and surroundings. You'll need to reduce by up to 30% to sell there these days.

Sleepybunny Tue 19-Jul-16 08:19:38

Oh Flip, you guessed right! We have started about 30% lower than we would have been two years ago! But then that's life.

Bump! That gives me hope. I'm worried we just can't sell, although the house is fine enough. It's just longer term, we'd prefer to be in a different location.

What area are you in?

Tootsiepops Tue 19-Jul-16 08:23:31

We've just bought a new build in Scotland, but selling our existing house in England. I'm terrified we're making a mistake re: brexit fall out. Time will tell...

Flippertygib Tue 19-Jul-16 08:51:28

OP - you misunderstand! No 30% less than 2 years ago...30% less than today's survey valuation.

I have this on good advice from my brother who is (having to) sell in Aberdeen having lost his job last year.

If he had only accepted an offer he got last year (at about 16% under survey price) he would have been fine. But the greedy guts he is he's held on for more. Big mistake - and even he is admitting that now.

Sleepybunny Tue 19-Jul-16 09:04:14

Wow! That's painful! Our EA has mentioned a few horror stories of large properties selling for 200k less. Although I do think some of the prices paid for properties during the boom period were insane. A close friend spent £350k on a two bed flat! Eek

Is your brother still trying to sell?

Flippertygib Tue 19-Jul-16 09:12:42

OP, yes - trying being the optimum word. There was an offer he accepted a few months ago but the potential buyer's lender didn't agree with the valuation or something and the sale didn't proceed. I didn't know this could happen in Scotland but I think lenders are being very cautious in Aberdeen just now as they believe prices are only going one way.

OOAOML Tue 19-Jul-16 10:49:39

We're in Edinburgh and have accepted an offer on ours, had an offer accepted, and are apparently going to move before the end of August so scrabbling to get legal work done and mortgage sorted. We were on for about three weeks - think everything traditionally slows down over the school holidays.

Sleepybunny Tue 19-Jul-16 12:33:15

Eek! Your poor brother. Can he hold tight for a while longer? I didn't know that could happen either.

Well done OOAOML! Keep us posted with your sale progress. We're looking at buying in the Glasgow area.

I also didn't realise things slowed down over the school holidays. Maybe we're in for quite a wait then.

aaahhhBump Tue 19-Jul-16 22:00:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thelovecats Wed 20-Jul-16 07:06:19

2 relatives have just sold in Edinburgh- missives are taking ages when historically they have been done quickly. Make sure to keep chasing the solicitors...

Sleepybunny Wed 20-Jul-16 10:43:31

Good grief, I'm thinking our chances of selling anytime soon are slim. I can come to terms with it though, as we're in a good area and the house is nice. So not the end of the world.

I suppose we could rent it out for a while. Seems the rental market isn't quite as bad.

concertplayer Wed 20-Jul-16 12:54:08

Any advice re selling in England and then buying in Scotland?

Kirriemuir Wed 20-Jul-16 16:28:28

Concert - I am a Scottish EA. You need 2 different solicitors. Hopefully they are ok to work together in terms of dates etc but they can be difficult to find. We've done it a few times. Solicitor/estate agents are common here. Not so in England.

Littleelffriend Wed 20-Jul-16 16:51:12

I've got an empty flat for sale in Aberdeen been on the market since Feb no offers, only a couple of viewers. Am starting to panic and am thinking about trying to rent it out.

Sleepybunny Wed 20-Jul-16 20:13:23

Sorry I don't have any helpful advice Concert. Kirriemuir will be the expert. I would imagine any purchase is Scotland is less likely to fall through as I don't think you can except an offer once you've already agreed a price from someone else. I guess it's more likely that once an offer is accepted everything show go ahead.

Littleeelfriend, from your flat is empty, I would definitely consider trying to rent it out. What area of the city is it in, if you don't mind me asking?

concertplayer Wed 20-Jul-16 20:16:33

Thanks Kirrie x

angelopal Wed 20-Jul-16 20:28:57

There is some movement in the market in Aberdeen. We sold our house for full valuation in a week a couple months ago. Though it was at the lower end of the market.

Littleelffriend Wed 20-Jul-16 21:01:41

Sleepybunny it's right in the centre it's a lovely top floor flat

concertplayer Thu 21-Jul-16 10:45:40

Kirriemuir It is me again We are half Scots and fed up with England.
We have Scottish family so we were going to sell, rent for a while
and then buy My family in Scotland would also gets surveyors etc
for us so did also consider flying up and viewing and then taking it
from there.
I will check with sols down here if prepared to work with Scottish lawyers

OOAOML Thu 21-Jul-16 13:05:34

concert Scottish sellers get a home report done, and most people I know don't have a separate survey done (although if it flags issues like damp, obviously you have the option to get a specialist out). Our buyer got someone round to look at the tenement roof before putting their offer in.

Remember to check the stamp duty, as thresholds here are different. lets you compare old/new/rUK systems.

Sleepybunny Thu 21-Jul-16 14:16:16

Oh yeah good advice OOAOML. The home report makes things a lot simpler when buying. It's also worth bearing in mind that the lender may request a survey by a specialist if the home report suggests significant repairs.
Littleeel, maybe we're in competition with each other. Also city centre (west end). Let's hope the market picks up like Angel has suggested.

Either that or you buy my place and I'll buy yours grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: